Thread: Have You Got The Pinfi Virus?

There is a lot of files in software (especialy autocad cracks) that my norton is catching with the pinfi virus.
    This is quite sticky and it took 3 days to clean my network of it.

to spot it in your registy go to run, type regedit, and follow down through you registry on this path: HKEY_CURRENT-USER\software\microsoft\windows\current user\explorer opening the explorer file to see if its listed.
    If it is then it probably has infected your anti virus software too (sugest latest norton, you probably know where to download it )
    Also move all your .exe files out of your shared folder until you clean it, to stop it passing on.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    wiz's Avatar Poster
    Different operating systems don't have the same registary settings/pathways.
    following your directions i come to a dead end when i get to HKEY_CURRENT-USER\software\microsoft\windows\ their is no current user file.
    posibly your not using OS WIN XP, please state which OS this
    HKEY_CURRENT-USER\software\microsoft\windows\current user\explorer opening the explorer file to see if its listed.
    refers to.
    this will prevent people with a different OS becoming confused by your directions.

thanks

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by DocTheBiker@13 July 2003 - 18:31
    There is a lot of files in software (especialy autocad cracks) that my norton is catching with the pinfi virus.
    This is quite sticky and it took 3 days to clean my network of it.

to spot it in your registy go to run, type regedit, and follow down through you registry on this path: HKEY_CURRENT-USER\software\microsoft\windows\current user\explorer opening the explorer file to see if its listed.
    If it is then it probably has infected your anti virus software too (sugest latest norton, you probably know where to download it )
    Also move all your .exe files out of your shared folder until you clean it, to stop it passing on.
    Next time be sure you're issuing a good tip. Study Windows Registry, it will take you a month to master this section.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    chalkmongoose
    Norton suckles. Use McAfee.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by chalkmongoose@13 July 2003 - 22:10
    Norton suckles. Use McAfee.
    Actualy I prefrer Norton.

Peace brotherdoobie.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Kalm down Kalm down
    OK I made a mistake, it should have been
    HKEY_CURRENT-USER\software\microsoft\windows\current version\explorer
    and not
    HKEY_CURRENT-USER\software\microsoft\windows\current user\explorer.
    Spot the difference, sorry I was knackered at the time, with a head full of html coding.
    And I should have mentioned this was for XP, millennium, and 2000 pro, which is as old as the OS's get on our network.