Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for info

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Never had experience using usenet. it seems that this forum really telling me that, no doubt, usernet is better than any private torrent trackers most especially on downloading huge files like DVD5/dvd9 videos.

what are the other differences between usenet & torrents (private trackers) aside from cost? This is what i expect from usenet and may be the difference between the two: downloading through bitorrent is convinient, which is also one of the advantage of torrent, judging from few posts i read... while usenet, well, downside is u have to pay but i expect that usenet offers more files and some files are unique/special that u can not find them in bittorent trackers since u have to pay, am i right?
    Everytime i encounter this word "retention" my mind tells me that files in usenet has time limit shorter than files in private tracker servers, correct me if i am wrong.
    I am not expert i am also totally new with terminology being used in below-the-ground filesharing network, like torrent trackers. Like the word "Pre-time", i first encounter this word in one of irc channel/network back in 2003 all i know is that "pre-ing" files is like timestamping the file the moment it hits its rightful place in file-sharing networks other people say the time that scene releases it. ok whatever, but the word "Pre" gave me the right direction and became a member of few private trackers and most especially meet new friends and of course leech/seed scene releases.... well, i want to know also the pre-times in usenet, since u are also paying, does it follow that usenet releases files much earlier than private torrent trackers? or may be i am expecting much...

Just curious though but I want to try usenet, cause it's pain to maintain ratio in private torrent trackers for DVD5/DVD9 videos and other huge files. and i want to try joining private tracker as an uploader that's why i want to know also the pre-time release in usenet...

forgive my ignorance, a long road ahead...

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Everything I have downloaded have been available pretty fast but I cannot compare it to private trackers as I've never used it. I have a couple of accounts on different FTP's, and those FTP's gets the files just an hour or so, before they start uploading to usenet, witch I think is pretty good.
    You are downloading as fast as your internet connection allows and you don't have to seed/share or whatever.
    The retention (the # of days a file stays on the server) is 200 days on Giganews. I don't know what torrent trackers have but I don't think it's bad at all.
    You'll also see that most of the content (especially the popular and very rare releases) will be re uploaded many times before/after the 200 days mark.

The only thing I use when it comes to P2P is eMule. I only use it when I need old releases (5+ years) and cannot find them on usenet. Games, movies, series and other stuff is usually found on usenet anyway.

Heres what I do (to explain how simple it can be):
    I have one folder I download NZB files to, on my server. Alt.Binz grabs the NZB files and downloads the releases. Alt.Binz then checks the files for errors, unpack it to a folder with the same name, and deletes the compressed files.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by MXFileSharing View Post
    Never had experience using usenet. it seems that this forum really telling me that, no doubt, usernet is better than any private torrent trackers most especially on downloading huge files like DVD5/dvd9 videos.
    There are quite a few things on Usenet I'd never be able to afford with my present connection like 1080p encodes from tv that are 15GB+ large or even full hddvd's/bluray's. In that regard, the Usenet has the large advantage that you don't need to seed anything back.

what are the other differences between usenet & torrents (private trackers) aside from cost? This is what i expect from usenet and may be the difference between the two: downloading through bitorrent is convinient, which is also one of the advantage of torrent, judging from few posts i read... while usenet, well, downside is u have to pay but i expect that usenet offers more files and some files are unique/special that u can not find them in bittorent trackers since u have to pay, am i right?
    First off, you don't pay for the content but for the access to a Usenet server. As there are some ways to gain access to the Usenet binary groups without the need to pay, there's little distinction between what's available there or elsewhere. You will however find yourself to be pleased with some communities in the Usenet - for example, I love the lossless classical music I can get from there that was previously difficult to find.
    There are many groups that offer mostly scene stuff you'd find at many trackers but in between, you will discover some rarities if you know to look for it. Be aware though that the Usenet takes more time to discover all its depths but if you don't want that or cannot afford so much effort, there are many nzb-sites out there (like FST has a great one also) that make downloading from newsgroups as easy as using a bittorrent client.

Everytime i encounter this word "retention" my mind tells me that files in usenet has time limit shorter than files in private tracker servers, correct me if i am wrong.
    If you had written that a year ago, I would've agreed with you. Nowadays a good Usenet access provider can keep the content for up to 200 days - that's a bit above 6 months. The largest advantage of downloading this way is your guarantee of availability and speed: even if something is not popular you'll still be able to access it with some megabit/s speed half a year from now. The bittorrent concept raises (and falls) with its peers and many torrents are lost within a few weeks only. What you find after a torrent survived for 6 months is usually very few seeders and thus a slow speed - of course there are some 'archive' trackers that can keep files alive longer.

I am not expert i am also totally new with terminology being used in below-the-ground filesharing network, like torrent trackers. Like the word "Pre-time", i first encounter this word in one of irc channel/network back in 2003 all i know is that "pre-ing" files is like timestamping the file the moment it hits its rightful place in file-sharing networks other people say the time that scene releases it. ok whatever, but the word "Pre" gave me the right direction and became a member of few private trackers and most especially meet new friends and of course leech/seed scene releases.... well, i want to know also the pre-times in usenet, since u are also paying, does it follow that usenet releases files much earlier than private torrent trackers? or may be i am expecting much...
    If you're expecting to get everything faster from the Usenet, then you'll be disappointed for sure. Of course you'll find some content that's available there earlier but with very low pre-times of a few trackers (below 5 mins) it's difficult to win or even compare such a race. What's important here is that you don't take nzb postings as an indication for available content because that is just one more delay, the same goes for newsgroup indexers like Binsearch. If you retrieve headers from newsgroups, then you'll get everything as early as it's available.

Just curious though but I want to try usenet, cause it's pain to maintain ratio in private torrent trackers for DVD5/DVD9 videos and other huge files. and i want to try joining private tracker as an uploader that's why i want to know also the pre-time release in usenet...
    That wholly depends on the tracker you think of uploading to. Most trackers who have users with direct scene (or at least site) access will also have seedboxes to gain another advantage over you. All of that means you'll never be able to beat them on pre-times, with or without Usenet access. You certainly can support already uploaded torrents by seeding it also but in the time of very fast pre-times on a couple of trackers and many more seedboxes I wouldn't suggest you give that much hope

The Usenet has a fine collection of content and its concept brings many advantages but it's not perfect. You won't find everything you search for, you won't always have the best pre-times and there is some special stuff you won't ever find on the Usenet (or if you do it's heavily delayed). But all torrent trackers compared to the Usenet, I certainly don't mind paying those few Euros because this way, I can focus on what I really want and need (high quality hd movie rips from HDBits, for example).

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    thanks daniel for clearing it up

i give up my seedbox before because it's half useless if there's no good source, but not really my intention to race i know i can't compete with those uploaders who has direct access. i'll wait for my time.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Well I am loving usenet now that I have figured it out. I still use bit torrent for some rare or older files but I always check usenet first.

The only thing I miss about the trackers is the feeling of community and discussions from the forums.

I am sure there are some great usenet groups out there I just haven't found them yet.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenth View Post
    Well I am loving usenet now that I have figured it out. I still use bit torrent for some rare or older files but I always check usenet first.

The only thing I miss about the trackers is the feeling of community and discussions from the forums.

I am sure there are some great usenet groups out there I just haven't found them yet.
    You'll find many interesting groups if you click through these pages:

http://groups.google.com/groups/dir

I guess you didn't talk about binary groups?

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    (high quality hd movie rips from HDBits, for example).
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Very good explanation... What can you find at HDBits, that you cant find in the Newsgroups just wondering because there not open for Sign up thanks!

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by cubbyche View Post
    (high quality hd movie rips from HDBits, for example).
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Very good explanation... What can you find at HDBits, that you cant find in the Newsgroups just wondering because there not open for Sign up thanks!
    I have come to love their custom encodes, be it from groups like ESiR or CtrlHD that mainly operate on this tracker or from single persons like NWO or H2 for example.

Most highdef content on the Usenet is naturally scene stuff, that's not always a bad thing because I'm downloading that as well, but more often than not you can find a higher quality encode elsewhere and that is always HDBits. I'm certainly not a highdef maniac like some people there seem to be, but I like a good visual quality. You'll notice some of those encodes (ESiR mainly) can be found elsewhere, that may be BiT-HDTV, HD-bits.ro or even the Usenet. What you won't see without a HDBits account is how delayed they are, because the stuff is sometimes available for days or weeks already before it is spread out.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Thanks for the link Multiforce. I gotta start browsing now.

@ Daniel Someone was gonna give me an invite to HDbits but they told me the user limit was maxed. Are invites open yet?
    Last edited by Tenth; 11-07-2007 at 02:45 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast