Thread: Guy Fawkes

as an american, i'm not intimately familiar with the celebration of Guy Fawkes Day, but i know the story of the gunpowder plot & all that.

just curious as to whether Guy Fawkes is still considered by most brits to be a traitor, or if people are more sympathetic to him now (i.e. the other side of the story being that he wasn't the ringleader but merely had the sh*t luck to be the one caught with the match in his hand). does anyone actually admire him nowadays, seeing as how people have become much less patriotic/loyal than in the old days?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    well, i suppose "traitor" isn't exactly the right word, 'cause any way you slice it, he was a traitor. but is he still considered to be a villain for trying to blow up parliament?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    I don't think anyone trying to blow up government buildings or people could really be considered anything other than a villian, surely?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    People don't actually give a shit about guy fawkes, it's just used as an excuse for fireworks n a good time really, no meaning left in it at all IMO

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

5. Lounge   -   #5
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    i guess he's symbolised as kinda a "good" person....

the only real "automatic" association is to fireworks and beer, so i guess people like him for that; however i think people still don't agree it was a good plan (in general)
    <insert signature here>

6. Lounge   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Proper Bo, I tell thee@13 July 2003 - 21:32
    People don&#39;t actually give a shit about guy fawkes, it&#39;s just used as an excuse for fireworks n a good time really, no meaning left in it at all IMO
    From that point of view, it&#39;s a bit like 4 July.

No disrespect intended, merely from the point that we are all friends now, so it is really just a good excuse for a good party.

Mind you, who needs an excuse for a good party ?

:beerchug:
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Guy fawkes is considered in the same realm as communism....It works in theory was good but doesnt work in practice