Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OiNK.cd Servers Raided, Admin Arrested

iNSOMNiA's Avatar 1/G BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    "The servers of OiNK.cd - one of the most popular private BitTorrent trackers - are raided and the admin, a 24-year-old man from Middlesbrough, is arrested."

"The British and the Dutch police both contributed to the investigation that was initiated by the IFPI and the BPI, two well known anti-piracy organizations. The operation was supported by Interpol who coordinated the international cooperation.

According to early reports OiNk’s servers were confiscated in Amsterdam last week. This seems to be unlikely because the site was still fully functional 24 hours ago. The administrator of OiNK was arrested this morning by the Cleveland Police. The BBC reports that his employer and the home of his father were raided as well.

Jeremy Banks, Head of the IFPI’s Internet Anti-Piracy Unit, said in a reponse to the news: “OiNK was central to the illegal distribution of pre-release music online. This was not a case of friends sharing music for pleasure. This was a worldwide network that got hold of music they did not own the rights to and posted it online.”

OiNK hosted hundreds and thousands of torrents with over a million peers which makes it more popular than most public trackers. The site was known to be one of the first places where leaked music albums appeared, so anti-piracy outfits such as MediaDefender were keeping a close eye on it.

In July the tracker already changed its name from OiNK.me.uk to OiNK.cd due to “legal” issues with their domain registrar. Unfortunately it now seems that the popular private BitTorrent tracker is in bigger trouble."

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/oinkcd-serve...dmin-arrested/
    View: OiNK Investigation Seeks Identities and Activities of Users
    View: OiNK Admin Released From Custody
    View: Why Are The IFPI and BPI Allowed To Hijack OiNK?
    View: OiNK Database Didn’t ‘Self Destruct’, Wasn’t Encrypted But Users Safe?
    View: OiNK Launches Legal Defense Fund - November 11, 2007
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 11-12-2007 at 08:42 PM. Reason: floated image to the right/added new

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm sure that fellow in the cuffs would love to give a big "thanks" to all you traders out there.

yo

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    I hardly doubt its the traders Skizo lol. The site just had too big of a name. Everyone knew it was just a matter of time. Frankly, I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. Even if trading didn't exist that allowed the propagation of its popularity, they'd still be as big a target to the authorities. It's impossible to contain a site that big under the rug without the wrong people noticing.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Agreed. I just saw my chance and took it.

I would have gotten away with it too if weren't that pesky DefX.

yo

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    i thought onik was private tracker how can it have +1,000,000 peers

bad for him but on other hand he must have known this would be evadable in Bt business, hopefully his prepared.
    i always thought hosting a server in same country as one lives is a stupid thing specially UK or US.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    That sucks, I just got on here a month or so ago trying to figure out how to get an invite. Maybe it will be better that I didn't, ha. I was hoping to get some of the rare music i knew they had on there. Anyone know any better sites?

Oink was a great idea and could change the way filesharing takes place in the future. Its just too bad we lost a site that was pretty much the iTunes store, for free. (especially for those of us that didn't get to use it )

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Pzero's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    There were 175,000 (approx) users, over a million is...yeah
    >><<

Waffles|What|BitMe|BitMeTV|Revtt|TL|TD

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Nooooooooooooo
    zOMG I´m on Abraxas´ ignore list. My life is over!

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    That's bad news

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    maybe we can start another tracker? oink.cd.com
    I only got there like one month ago... I live in the netherlands, so i hope police wont come to my door and get me

Why there where so many users, is because every power user would got 4 invites once in a while (upload 10gb and ur a poweruser).

Too bad... dont know if there are any other sites, where the users themselves rip the music very fast, even before scene-pre.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast