Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Networking

  1. #1

    I just got my network working. Now i just need to worry about securing it.
    Just wanted to know what you guys have done to secure your network.
    I could easily connect to another person near my house without him knowing. But i don't want someone else to connect to me.
    I asked someone and they said if someone connects to your public network they can read your emails look at your passwords.
    I don't have a problem with that. But my dad uses email for buisness and he can't afford for anyone to read his emails and look at the passwords of his accounts.





    If it helps the base is on XP home.
    The wireless router is on 2000 pro and the wireless network card is on 98 SE

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Stonecold

    The first basic step would be to change the SSID from the default to something far less likely to be stumbled across by someone outside.

    beyond that, it's into WEP encryption, firewalls etc. It's always a trade-off between usablility and security.

    Porpoise

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by porpoise@13 July 2003 - 19:36
    Stonecold

    The first basic step would be to change the SSID from the default to something far less likely to be stumbled across by someone outside.

    beyond that, it's into WEP encryption, firewalls etc. It's always a trade-off between usablility and security.

    Porpoise
    Thanks for the reply..

    What is WEP encryption?

    I don't want to put a firewall on all 3 computers. Do i need to?

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    DarkBlizzard's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    598
    1. Get a proxy connection or static IP Address
    2. Get Norton Personal Firewall
    3. Turn on your windows firewall
    4. Dont Leave your internet on all the time....when you leave if your not downloading, turn off your cable modem or dsl if you have one.

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by DarkBlizzard@13 July 2003 - 20:44
    1. Get a proxy connection or static IP Address
    2. Get Norton Personal Firewall
    3. Turn on your windows firewall
    4. Dont Leave your internet on all the time....when you leave if your not downloading, turn off your cable modem or dsl if you have one.
    1. Don't know what that is.
    2. I don't want to purchase a firewall on 3 computers
    3. If i do that, i can't transfer files on my network. And can't use printer
    4. I am always on the computer

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I just installed zone alart firewall.

    Anything i need to know?

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    stonecold1203- Off topic, but you aren't by any chance a member of RajahWWF Fan Forums are you?

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    chalkmongoose
    Guest
    Originally posted by stonecold1203@13 July 2003 - 19:06

    I just got my network working. Now i just need to worry about securing it.
    Just wanted to know what you guys have done to secure your network.
    I could easily connect to another person near my house without him knowing. But i don't want someone else to connect to me.
    I asked someone and they said if someone connects to your public network they can read your emails look at your passwords.
    I don't have a problem with that. But my dad uses email for buisness and he can't afford for anyone to read his emails and look at the passwords of his accounts.





    If it helps the base is on XP home.
    The wireless router is on 2000 pro and the wireless network card is on 98 SE
    Rebel, ain't yah?
    I thought for a minute, looking at your post, that you had actually setup a router on a Windows 2000 box, but nah...
    I'm thinking you need to go on Google and look up a few articles. Look up an article on the basics of WEP encryption, and then set your router to use a 128 bit WEP key, preferably hexidecimal. Set it nice and random (maybe use a passphrase if they support it, but not anything obvious)
    Then, for any file-sharing you want done, you'll need to either setup port forwarding or a DMZ zone. I use DMZ and haven't been hacked yet, but I got a nice copy of McAfee firewall, and it nukes the bastards daily (they've tried).

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    *Grunt*
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Newcastle, United Kingdom
    Posts
    867
    About the firwall, i recomend that you get one of those router/firwall box things they can provide substantial surcurity.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •