Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smtp Server Name For Hotmail

chalkmongoose
    Originally posted by Wizzandabe@13 July 2003 - 21:08
    try this,

sea2fd.sea2.hotmail.msn.com
    mc8-f2.law1.hotmail.com
    What are those? They don't look like any addresses I've ever seen (besides classic HTTP, which I guess they very well may be)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Livy@13 July 2003 - 14:23
    i dont think hotmail operates a smtp, i think it uses http, which would require a login and not sure if it would support what ur trying to do, what about the email that came with ur isp?
    No such thing. Dont get the web based interfaced confused with the fact that the only mail protocols there is are: smtp (simple mail transfer protocol) and esmtp (encrypted simple mail transfer protocol). Hotmail has an smtp and a pop 3 not to mention the secure aspect of those protocols as well (pop3 secure port 995). They just dont want you to know the mail server addresses. But if you send yourself an email you can find out. Just read the headers on the email. Unless the mail has been rerouted you should be able to find the server addresses which actually may change from time to time.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    shn---
    I tried what you said and all the header said was ". ."--- my email.... they must have it blocked

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by endezeichen@13 July 2003 - 19:35
    shn---
    I tried what you said and all the header said was ". ."--- my email.... they must have it blocked
    you should have gotten way more information than that regarding the header address. See if there is an advanced tab for whatever program your using. I do it with shitty outlook express or if Im on linux I do it with ximian. Bascially what youll get off those headers is pretty significant from an ip address and hostname to the actual name of the computers that sent or received the mail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12