Thread: Soulseek banning

Just started using Soulseek yesterday and I am liking it quite a bit. This is probably a real noob question but I was downloading an album when after a few songs it stopped and the user's icon went red. I assume he simply disconnected. But what if he decided to ban me? How would I know? What would happen? Apparently I am supposed to get a "remote: banned" message but if this is a status bar message it might have been replaced by a "returned search results..." message before I saw it. Or would it be more obvious than that?

Once you are banned are you still able to contact the user to get yourself unbanned or to at least ask for the reason?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parag0n View Post
    Just started using Soulseek yesterday and I am liking it quite a bit. This is probably a real noob question but I was downloading an album when after a few songs it stopped and the user's icon went red. I assume he simply disconnected. But what if he decided to ban me? How would I know? What would happen? Apparently I am supposed to get a "remote: banned" message but if this is a status bar message it might have been replaced by a "returned search results..." message before I saw it. Or would it be more obvious than that?

Once you are banned are you still able to contact the user to get yourself unbanned or to at least ask for the reason?
    The red text can indicate a couple of things

If in the browse screen or search screens, it means the user has logged off. If in the Transfers screen, it means there has been an error. Simply right-click and "retry" if the latter.

If the user has banned you, then the file list will appear in black and it will say "banned" or "user banned" or something to that effect in the status of your download.

yo

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    skizo /banned
    Now go away.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Thanks for the help Skizo, it's not all that complicated I guess.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    More often than not, SoulSeek's server is off-line..this happens occasionally..just like FST forums, hehe...all part of the fun...