Thread: This CPU with this Mobo?

Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Intel recently released the E4600 c2d. When it comes to bang for the buck I believe it would be hard to match and I am wanting to take it for a spin.

Does anyone know of any reason the E4600 c2d would not work with a ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 mobo?

It's not on the manufacturer's supported CPU list, but the chip has only been out a few days though. The one thing that has me worried is that it is listed prominently as a 65W Processor. I am not sure it that has any significant meaning or not. I'd hate to buy something that isn't compatible out of pure ignorance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    DooMeD68's Avatar Domain Of Sutekh
    from personal experience ASRock motherboards are notoriously bad manufactures - lacking support, problematic drivers, poor manual design, even though they have improved to not improve !
    maybe it would be prudent just to get another motherboard manufacture in this case that supports the product !
    though looking at the specs it should work - maybe the board requires a fireware upgrade for better compatibility ! choice is yours i thinks !

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Does anyone know of any reason the E4600 c2d would not work with a ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 mobo?
    As DooMeD68 noted...it's an ASRock, so getting anything to work will be a crapshoot.
    Do yourself a favor, stay away from them and any other board with a VIA chipset.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The Mobo has already been purchased. It's not my first ASRock board, and probably won't be my last. I've been running a Pentium D 820 off it for long as I can remember. It's been a very stable board with an easy install. Not may options in bios, but rock solid. It's not top of the line, but for the price and options....

Any ways, as said above, my concern is the 65W stat on the processor. I am very unfamiliar with that. Of course I know what it is, and what it means, but I don't know how that might effect compatibility.

I don't think it will be an issue, but I'm only like 99.8% on that. I was just wondering if anyone else around here had more insight.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Its not an issue of compatibility its an issue of powersupply watt draw. If the mobo says it supports it and it fits the socket the watt draw wiil only be an issue if your power supply doesn't have the power left to supply 65watt to the processor after taking into account the previous cpu draw and all your periferals.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I know for a fact that the PD 820 draws 125watts.
    The 65watt take on this CPU is power saving feature. So it would be a reduction on the draw from my powersupply (a mushkin enhanced 580 watt). The exact issue at hand is purely computability between the Mobo and the CPU. My only concern is the fact that this is a reduced power CPU. Like I said in the first post, the manufacture does not say that this CPU is supported. But this CPU was only released days ago. All previous E4XXX work fine on this board. It's just the whole 65watt thing.

But if that's not a issue I should be concerned about, that's great.

I really feel like I am trying to make an issue out of something that is not an issue.
    Anyone agree?

Ahh fuck it...

Nevermind everyone.
    I just went ahead and got a e6600. I was just being cheap.

thanks.
    Last edited by Broken; 10-27-2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    chillincool's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    you could have just returned it if it didn't work
    "They were cheap masks locked on festering thoughts--voices gabbling to drown out the loud silence in every breast."

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    I have an AsRock 775 dual vsta and I love it. I had no problems using my old and new hardware and that was the draw to it having the ability to take ddr and ddrII ram and having both IDE and SATA. Now Clocker I know you are the man so what MoBo do you recomend as the best for the money?

As they said it's really up to the PSU so you might have to pick a new one up.