CD 's speed
    MB Size
    display tipe and MB size
    Moneter Size
    sound card

i whant to bay a good computer for games and internet

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Best computer is the most you can get for the money you have, and one that will satisfy you.
    It doesn't have to compete with what someone else has. It only has to do what you want it to do and do it well.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    build your own pc. its 10 times cheaper and 100 times better than purchasing one from the likes of gateway etc.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by mogadishu@10 July 2003 - 03:03
    build your own pc. its 10 times cheaper and 100 times better than purchasing one from the likes of gateway etc.
    Actually, it costs more than to buy one from Gateway or Dell.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by Mosfos+10 July 2003 - 06:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mosfos &#064; 10 July 2003 - 06:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@10 July 2003 - 03:03
    Actually, it costs more than to buy one from Gateway or Dell. [/b][/quote]
    Definately. There is no way possible to build a computer for cheaper than you can buy "refurbished" from Dell.

Honest, for &#036;1,000 including shipping and handling, I got:

P4 @3.0 w/HT w/800 MHz FSB
    256 Dual Channel DDR 400
    (for data transfer at 6.4 GB/sec)
    Intel Canterwood i875P chipset w/RAID & ECC support & AGP 8X and PAT enabled
    Geforce MX 440 64 MB DDR AGP 8X
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    48X CD RW
    16X variable CD ROM
    Floppy Drive
    SoundBlaster Live&#33; 5.1
    60 GB Western Digital Caviar 7200 RPM
    1 year support and warranty, etc. etc.
    WinXP Home Edition SP1 integrated
    6 months ISP Earthlink
    Word perfect, other crappy software, etc...
    No monitor

(of course reinstall the OS and get rid of all that crappy software)

Show me how you could build that for less.

What Dell calls refurbished is anything that was assembled and then the buyer flaked, or cancelled. The computer I have is perfect. Apart from reinstalling the OS, no hassle, except no great options in BIOS. However, I may get a new mobo later to OC my P4 to 3.5 GHz. I just ordered a Sappire Radeon 9500 which I will turn into a 9700 through software emulation I learned about from the Xbit lab&#39;s knowlegeable forum members. Read about it Here

and

Here

I will have the system paid off in 3 months. I just installed 512 more MB RAM for a total of 768 MB. Lovin&#39; it&#33; Unfortunatly this purchase will take 3 more months of hard work to pay off, but it is worth it&#33;

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    thats not really any cheaper than u could have built yourself especially if u decide to get a better motherboard. (i didn&#39;t count software as i;m assuming most people on this board are not adverse to software copyright infringement) Around half the money your paying is for the chip u got&#33;&#33;&#33; Of course if u really want legal software then thats a much better deal than building your own.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Ars Technica has some pretty decent setups that are updated every couple of months.

The Budget Box (currently ~ &#036;650)
    The Hot Rod (currently ~ &#036;1,300)
    The God Box (currently ~ &#036;10,000)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    &#036;1,000 dollars for that DELL machine is expensive&#33;&#33; I would have expected a monitor in with that price&#33; I still say if you look around enough and take your time its cheaper to build one from scratch&#33;

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    In terms of what is a good computer spec and rough guesses at prices (good spec for value and performance):

AMD XP processor in the high 2 thousands (2600 - 3000) or an intel processor of similar MHz (cost: somewhere around 200 quid)
    Cooler for processor (about 20 quid)
    128MB AGP8x graphics card either Geforce or Radeon (check out http://www.tomshardware.com for benchmarks and comparisons) (cost: 130 quid)
    A GOOD motherboard (see the thread in Hardwareworld about good manufacturers, offhand i&#39;d say Asus and Abit) (cost 110 quid)
    512MB DDR ram (speed should match bus speed of processor) (cost about 75 quid)
    17" Monitor (about 150 quid)
    Hard drive 80 GB (about 60 quid)
    CDRW drive up to 48x (about 50 quid)
    Case, a better one can save u quite a bit of time (about 60 quid)

I think thats roughly what i&#39;d look for in a computer, the areas that u must do your research on are the motherboard and the graphics card.
    Also look in the threads about:
    building your own computer,
    recommended hardware manufacturers
    and the thread about good cheap retailers

Edit: All prices are off the top of my head and may be complete bollocks

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    i think the best pc money can buy is the new f-class by voodoo and pc is fully customized and painted to perfection.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast