Thread: Please Help (PS2/SwapMagic/Mod Question)

Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60

Question Mark

I'm not a huge gamer, so I'm pretty n00bish when it comes to all this stuff. I had a PS1 back when I was about 11 and I had no knowledge of using "backup" games since obtaining games was simply my mom buying me what I wanted.

I've been checking around, and did some searches here, but I still have some questions.

I just bought a PS2 the other day and I've decided to go with Swap Magic to play DLed games instead of a modchip, since it seems to be the cheapest/easiest way to do it.

When I burn DVDs, do I have to use DVD-R discs or can I use +R, too? I have the slim PS2 (I can check the model number if that's necessary). I am going to order SwapMagic 3.6 and the flip cover tonight, but I have some games I want to get off my computer before it would ship so I want to burn them and I won't be able to test them so I want to do it perfect.

Also wondering about playing burned PS1 games on PS2 and what options are there for that.

AND, if there is something better to mod my PS2, still within the same price range (~$45 and under), I'd love to hear some suggestions and hopefully you will include the pluses and minuses of it against swap magic. (Remember I'm a n00b, I can only understand so many game-mod terms )

Thanks

2. Games   -   #2
    DooMeD68's Avatar Domain Of Sutekh
    ps2 games come in to distinct formats - cd-roms with the purple underside and dvd5 format with the silver underside ! to copy ps2 games to disk you can use all formats of disks DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-RW/DVD+RW!
    as for your second question - PS1 won't work with a PS2 - you'll get a illegal disk error ! so it's either a mod-chip or Swap Magic ! but it must be noted that - PS1 backup games won't work with the Swap Magic disc you will need Breaker Pro, Gameshark Lite, Gameshark Bonus disk, a MC exploit, or a modchip to boot PSX games !

3. Games   -   #3
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    best media are tayo yuden for ps2 by a long shot, but some ps2 play either + or -, some just like one or the other, its a bit picky to say the least.

Swap magic will not play every game, i dont think it will play DL games at all, and you have to swap yuch.

if you can solder, i would definately go the modchip route, DMS, messiah, crystal are the best ones to go for.

with PS1, if you have a chip, just stick the disc in, if you have swapmagic i think you need codebreaker+ as well, but ive always had a chip so im not to sure on that.

4. Games   -   #4
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Thanks for the help everyone.
    Really wanted to get a chip, but decided against it since I don't know how to solder and I don't want to learn by trying it on a game system I just spent a decent amount of pocket change on.

I'll be sure to follow up if I have an problems with it

5. Games   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    i am interested in getting a mod chip. could someone post a link to where the best and cheapest mod chips are.

and another question is it hard to install the mod chip?