Thread: Joliet Names Of Mp3 Files

oldmancan's Avatar Poster
    I'm having a problem burning some mp3's to disc, Nero Express 5.9.9.0. Fail to burn because Joliet names for two files are the same. I unchecked the "Check Joilet names before burning" option, still no joy. I know how I can work around the problem, but it would be faster if I could find the Joilet names of all the mp3's in my folder.

My initial searches here and at google haven't given me the answer.

How can I view the Joliet names for my mp3's?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    What you need to do is just slightly change the names of the files it gives joilet errors on.I just edit the mp3 in question and just delete one letter.Nero does this when too many files have similar names.Hope it works for you.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    That will work I'm sure. Problem is that Nero gives me a name (say stevie_6) that doesn't correspond to any mp3 file name, so I don't know which file to rename.

I'm assuming that the (stevie_6) is the Joliet name. If I can somehow view the Joilet names for my mp3 files then I should be match names and know which to edit.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Once it has given the joilet names error look at your folders waiting to be burnt and the ones you need to change the names of will be in italic.Then just right click>rename and delete a letter.Good luck

EDIT:The title it gives will be the name of a track from one of the albums.Hope you understand what i mean.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I understand what you mean.

But something is wrong. When I look at the folder with the files to burn, after getting the Burn Process Fail message none of the files are italicised.

I'm not worried about getting this project burnt. What I really want is to know how to view the Joliet names for the mp3's.

If a program can read the Joliet name then shouldn't I be able to read it too?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    OK First off, NEMO was right about the italics. I was mistaken about the folder with the files to burn. I was using Nero Express and couldn't get directly to the folder following the Fail to Burn message. Once I switched to the "Full" Nero mode the italicised files were apparent.

Second this is what I think I learned. The Joliet file name is one created by Nero for the burn to cd. It is not some hidden little tag that rides on the filename on the hard drive. So I can't view the Joliet file name because it doesn't exist prior to the burn.

Also it seems Nero doesn't like long file names. I had long names due to using EAC and lame (Artist, Album, Title, # on disc). Once The files to burn were in the folder for burning quite a few were itialicised. I renamed all the files to just Artist & Song.

Burn session went fine after that. Thanks NEMO. Cheers All.

:beerchug:

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    speaking of EAC, Lame, and long filenames, I was having hell ripping one of my CD's, it just kept ripping
    one song, then it would fail. Changed a bunch of different settings...nothing.
    Finally, i decided to change the naming scheme that I've setup for EAC. I had it where it would
    create a folder with Artist Name and Album title, with the songs having artist, disc, track no,
    and track title(%A - %C\%A - %C - %N %T). This hadn't been a problem before, but I changed it
    so that it would only use the Track number and Track Title on the songs.
    Then it ripped all of them perfectly.
    The Lame encoders command prompt environment didn't like the long filenames.
    The album?
    The Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band - Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upwards

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    The Joliet file name is one created by Nero for the burn to cd. It is not some hidden little tag that rides on the filename on the hard drive. So I can't view the Joliet file name because it doesn't exist prior to the burn.
    Thanks for the info I was wondering what a "joliet name" was myself. BTW why is there a need to call it a "joliet name" anyway? Nero could just drop the "joliet" and say file "name". Isn't that what the mp3idv3 tags are for?

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.