Thread: Compatible Ram

Poster
    I think my PC currently is using 256MB of SD RAM, yes I know it sucks, but how do I found out what speed it runs at, I was hoping to get some of the same speed, e.g. PC133. Does getting a RAM chip that is of a different speed to your current modules make a difference?

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    yea, how can u tell if your mobo can support DDR ram?
    I got SDram now.
    I got a brand new mobo model made by Gigabyte.
    Do new ones support both?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I know that PC133 ram can be used on boards designed to take PC100 as the PC133 is just better quality but beyond that i'm not sure. I think there are some programs out there that'll tell u what kind of ram u've got, but I don't know any off hand. The easiest way of checking what ram to buy is to look at your motherboard manual, as this'll tell u what it'll support, but the ram will run at the rate of the slowest module.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    you can usually tell by ur processor speed if u can support 133 or not, if its a multiple of 133 then it does, but just buy 133 ram, as even if its isnt 133 in at the mo, the new stick will just run at the same speed as the slowest, probably 100

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I have a 2.0GHz P4 machine. What speed of RAM would you recommend?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    if its sdram and a new system like that then 133, but even as i said 133 would work on 100, but would just run at 100

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    If you are unsure about your system specs then check out Sandrapro - system info and diagnositc tool. http://www.3bsoftware.com/products/sandra.html. There is also a shareware version.