Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same show. Different groups. Why?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Often times I download a TV shows and it comes from different groups, so I wind up having to look for the pieces to match up.

Can someone tell me how or why this happens?

yo

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Don't know if I understood correctly but I also don't know why they upload it to different groups but when I download all the parts go to the same folder.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    It's called crossposting. Different groups are alot like different trackers. Each with their own group of users that monitors and uploads stuff to each. Some people support multiple groups, so when they upload they post them to more than one group. Just as if you were uploading a new release to more than one tracker at the same time.

The NZBs you download have the multiple groups embedded in the code. Just depends on how they created the NZB. If you are creating the NZB yourself, then you determine which group the files and grabbed from.

One other reason for the crossposting. Not every usenet provider gives you access to every group. For instance, you may notice on RR they don't have alot of groups of a premium news provider. By crossposting, you ensure more people have access to the files. On my daughter's DSL line, SBC/ATT doesn't give her access to a.b.tv but she does have a.b.multimedia.
    Last edited by psxcite; 10-30-2007 at 05:23 PM.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    .....so I wind up having to look for the pieces to match up....
    If you look at binsearch

http://www.binsearch.info/?q=39820&m..._age=7&server=

you'll see that the files are posted to both groups, and since you use Giganews, I don't think you should have any problem finding the same files in both groups. I don't understand why you have to look for all the pieces in different groups even though they are being uploaded when you look for them as the pieces are going to both the groups @ the same time when they reach the news server.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    It just seems an unnecessary step.

Grabit isn't smart enough to look in all folders for files or PARs when doing the auto extraction either, so that creates another unnecessary step as well, as I have to do it on my own.

With the time it takes to perform those steps, I can do the work myself after the files are downloaded in less time than it would take to search out the files in the same group.

yo

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    With crossposted nzb's, it's better because any header that may be missing in one group is covered in the other group. With Newsleecher, you just set it to "download NZB file to subfolder" and it will automatically put every part even from other groups in that folder. No experience with grab it, but I don't see how it should be a problem.
    edit-Time to try Newsleecher??

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Back in the 'olden days' (maybe 3-5 years ago), people cross-posted simply because the newsgroup servers (ISP types of course) generally were of poor construction/operation, and would 'lose' huge chunks of posted binaries.

For the premium, even a step or two down from that, servers these days, the completion percentage is extremely high, and 'cross-posting' should have gone the way of the dodo, but some folks (posters) seem to think that it makes sense to still do so.

However, those depending on ISP newsgroup servers may still have problems.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    It just seems an unnecessary step.

Grabit isn't smart enough to look in all folders for files or PARs when doing the auto extraction either, so that creates another unnecessary step as well, as I have to do it on my own.

With the time it takes to perform those steps, I can do the work myself after the files are downloaded in less time than it would take to search out the files in the same group.
    And this is exactly why Grabit is not an application for serious usenet users. It is cool to get you started and learn a little. I used it years ago and it was nice to get your feet wet.

But once you are downloading large amounts on a daily basis, it's time to move up to Newsbin Pro or Newsleecher. Personally, I've been a Newsbin fan for years.

Grabit just won't cut it.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I love it. This one thing won't turn me off it either.

I also don't like Newsbin and haven't tried Newsleecher yet, though I've always heard good things. Perhaps I'll get around to it one day.

As for downloading large amounts, I don't anymore and haven't in some time. Looking at my Giganews details, I've downloaded 11.21 GB this month and it's the 31st. That's pathetic, huh?

Truth is, I'm long past the days of downloading hundreds of GBs/month. The only things that interest me these days are my couple of TV shows, some new movies, and occasional albums.

yo

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    I can't live without my usenet. Especially for old stuff I'm just discovering. For instance, I'm just now getting into the HBO series "Rome". All 5 DVDs of season one are in a.b.movies. I couldn't find something like this on a tracker with the speed of a premium usenet server.

Plus, the FLAC content is nice. It will help me alot with my new account on Pedro's. As long as they have no problem with me upping stuff I DL for usenet and test before upping. But I suppose with your tracker connections, you can don't really need usenet. The free acoount you got from the Giganews VP is just going to waste.

You should PM me the account details. I will put it to good use .

On a serious note, for the amount you download each month, Grabit is perfect. But if you really want to save some time and desire a wealth of new features, try Newsleecher.
    I just feel in love with Newsbin like you have with Grabit. I won't ever let it go.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast