Thread: How Do I Create A Temprarily Partion...

Im going to reinstall my computer but I wonder how I can create a temporarily partion so I can store my shared music and stuff and which I later can delete.

Right now I have only 10 GB left and my shared movies is about 8 GB so can I like rezise my primary partion and take that size to create a new partion so I can store my stuff and then when I have reinstalled my computer and copied over my shared folder from the partion I created,can I then delete the partion and take that size to add to my primary partion with some program??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Yeah partition magic can do non destructive partition resizing, i think it comes with help to guide u through the process but basically the procedure is:
    1) Defragment (so all files are located at teh beginning of the partition)
    2) resize primary partition (basically moves the end of the partition closer to the beginning, any data that goes past the end of the resized partition is lost, hence the defrag)
    3) Create new partition
    4) Format new partition
    5) copy files across and your good to go.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    youd be better keeping this partition, then if anything goes wrong ith windows the other drive has all your music and apps etc, that how i got my laptop its about 18.5 gigs, so i allocated 15gig as a 2nd partition and the rest as my system drive.
    i'll pm u a link for partition magic if u want?
    also fat32 would prob be best option for it, then its acesable in dos and from win9x system.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I did the same thing. But then decided to keep the partition. I'd recommend partition magic v.8.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by ilw@15 July 2003 - 13:03
    Yeah partition magic can do non destructive partition resizing, i think it comes with help to guide u through the process but basically the procedure if not
    1) Defragment (so all files are located at teh beginning of the partition)
    2) resize primary partition (basically moves the end of the partition closer to the beginning, any data that goes past the end of the resized partition is lost, hence the defrag)
    3) Create new partition
    4) Format new partition
    5) copy files across and your good to go.
    Great tip there, the defrag. Very nice post ilw

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thanks for the link Livy,I have decided to keep that partion so I can backup my stuff.

I wanna create 1 partion which I example call "(G"
    so I can move my shared files to it cause Im gonna format my (C drive and then I want to be able to retrieve my backup files from (G.

So which option in Partion Magic should I choose?
    Im not sure which one of these option I should choose:

"Create a new partion"

OR

"Create a backup partion"

The files which I wanna save is only videos,music and some programs do they are just data.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    'Create new partition' should do it. The type of the partition depends on what operating system(s) u r running
    if u only have Win2000 / Win XP probably best to do NTFS
    Anything earlier on your computer then its better to use FAT32