Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSL on newsgroups

hey pplz ,
    been reading around and just wanted to get your views on this
    firstly newsgroups is meant to be anonymous since connection is only to a server and not to other ppl ( like emule) - so why would 1 want ssl ? what does it give me ?
    is the ssl connection like enabling "protocol obfuscation" in the emule network - hides the protocol being used ? so its not known to the isp ?

any clarifications on the ssl feature ?

cheers

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Secure Socket Layer (SSL) basically encrypts all the data between you and the Usenet hosting company. Your ISP can see what you download on a normal connection. SSL is good if your unsure about your ISP monitoring your connection, etc.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    DooMeD68's Avatar Domain Of Sutekh
    ISP can only monitor the amount of bytes you are uploading and downloading - not the files ! even encryption - the same rules apply !

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DooMeD68 View Post
    ISP can only monitor the amount of bytes you are uploading and downloading - not the files ! even encryption - the same rules apply !
    so whats the point of ssl ?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    ^^As previously mentioned, SSL prevents your ISP from seeing what you download if you are concerned. Most usenet providers also do not monitor what you download; they just monitor the amount of traffic. This provides you additional piece of mind. Without SSL, your ISP could monitor what files you are downloading if they so wished, etc.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    so i untill i don't hear any security problems concerning my isp checking newsgroup traffic / reporting users theres no need for this feature........

cheers for the clarification

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    ADELA's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead^ View Post
    so i untill i don't hear any security problems concerning my isp checking newsgroup traffic / reporting users theres no need for this feature........

cheers for the clarification
    i got a warning from my isp for using to much bw and my acct was flagged. since then ive deleted 90% of my bt accts and clicked the box for ssl on newsleecher. its better safe than sorry!
    Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    (....God also used OINK..)

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ADELA View Post
    i got a warning from my isp for using to much bw and my acct was flagged. since then ive deleted 90% of my bt accts and clicked the box for ssl on newsleecher. its better safe than sorry!
    how much were you downloading when you got the warning ?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    ADELA's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead^ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ADELA View Post
    how much were you downloading when you got the warning ?

comcast 600 gb's +or-
    Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    (....God also used OINK..)

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    heh - thats defanitly alot unless you are limited in your contract with your isp you should of told them to buzz off - you pay for a specific speed connection and you have the right to use max bandwidth all the time - you payed for it didn't you ?
    Last edited by Smeghead^; 11-05-2007 at 01:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast