Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe speed to upload at?

kostnkost's Avatar "Otay" BT Rep: +1
    Ok here is the situation. My ISP capped me a year ago for abusing upload speeds. Now that I am a little bit wiser I control my speeds through utorrent, and I try to keep them under 150kb/s.

I can go much higher if I desired, but I am afraid the same thing will happen, and I will be capped down to nothing. My question is this.

What is a good way to go about asking my ISP what my limit would be for uploading speeds. Of course you could always go by the speed they offer, but that is not always correct. Also for obvious reasons, I do not want to say that I am downloading torrents and want to know my limit for uploading.

Any suggestions?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Why not upload a file to a file hosting website and see what the maximum speed of transfer is? If you're uploading at 125KB~ p/s then you have 1MB upload for example.

Just be sure to get your bits and bytes correct first.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Personally (and assuming that changing ISPs isn't an option) I would simply call them and ask them what their policy is. Explain that you must have inadvertently exceeded their limit last year and that you don't want to do it again.

If they refuse to tell you what the policy is, simply point out that if they cap your access for exceeding a limit they won't tell you about, you will be forced to seek considerable financial compensation (that's the nice way of saying you'll sue their asses).

I'm a bit confused about how you can exceed the rate they offer, unless you are interfering with the hardware. If that's the case you probably deserve all you get.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    You can't exceed the rate, but I could see the rate they offer and try to keep it under that. I may have worded that wrong as I typed this 5am in the morning without coffee.

NY ISP's are strange, especially out here on longisland. If they see that you are uploading for 2-3 days straight at say 250kb, then they can cap you without even telling you. Sue them? I doubt they would even flinch if I went that route.

We do have the option of switching to another ISP, but the hassle of getting a new router and such isn't worth it. They also have horrible customer service.

I could go the way of asking them, but then that would put up a red flag for sure.

Here is a link to their capping policy - very stange indeed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_Online
    Last edited by kostnkost; 11-02-2007 at 06:02 PM.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Still have not been caught, uploading too fast..

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    You can't do naught with Optimum.. Optimal hassle. You really have one option..move to a better provider.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Cheffy's Avatar Slut up ! BT Rep: +4
    Thats some weird rules.
    You should be able to able to use what you are paying for.

I say look for a new ISP.
    Since you are basically paying for surfing. Whats the point in paying for a 50/50mbit connection when they dont allow you to use it.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I beleive.....'s Avatar in truth BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Say to ISP and find a good one. This is ridiculous

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Unfortuantely I have one other and its Verizon. They have great speeds, but their customer service is horrible. If you have a problem they take 2-3 weeks to get to you.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    n00b BT Rep: +1
    I'm on SBC DSL in SoCal. I seed 24/7 at 13 kB/s and have for years. When I tried to go faster they sent me a warning after 30 kB/s for a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast