Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Scottish Independence

Feel free to leave.

You obviously don't like the place or the people.

I'd suggest you go and read some history as well, before you go quoting it incorrectly.
    In 927 Edward's successor Athelstan conquered Northumbria from the Danes, bringing the whole of England under one ruler for the first time. The Kingdom of Wessex had thus been transformed into the Kingdom of England.
    Inconvenient as it may be you and yours are English... like I said feel free to leave.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by manicgeek View Post
    Feel free to leave.

You obviously don't like the place or the people.

I'd suggest you go and read some history as well, before you go quoting it incorrectly.
    In 927 Edward's successor Athelstan conquered Northumbria from the Danes, bringing the whole of England under one ruler for the first time. The Kingdom of Wessex had thus been transformed into the Kingdom of England.
    Inconvenient as it may be you and yours are English... like I said feel free to leave.

You should choose a proper encyclopedia...

Eadred
    ...924–939), and the brother of King Edmund I (ruled 939–946). Upon Eadred's accession to power, the Northumbrians acknowledged his overlordship, but they soon proclaimed as their king Erik Bloodax, son of the Norwegian ruler Harald I Fairhair. In revenge Eadred ravaged all of Northumbria (948). The Northumbrians submitted to Eadred, but in 949 they accepted another Norse king,...
    Encyclopedia Brittanica

Northumbria was conquered by the Vikings, and then passed backwards and forwards between England and Norway almost up until the Norman Invasion.

The Northumbrians accepted Norse rule, not English.. even the "Earls" England put over them supported the Norse when push came to shove. (Even Harold's brother in 1065).

It wasn't until Northumbria was GIVEN to Cnut that Northumbria was recognised as part of "England" by anyone except the English.

It was not accepted by the Northumbrians; and they were still "revolting" as late as 1065 ie: Northumbria was still an "occupied territory" right up until the Norman Invasion.

The 1st "King of England" accepted by the Northumbrians as such was William I .... and that was as a result of his virtual Genocide of the North of England in 1069-70.

Even after all that, English "law" was not followed in Northumberland itself except within the walled city of Newcastle(Theoretically the Bishop of Durham was responsible, but couldnt control anywhere north of the Wear Valley (look up the history of the "Border Reivers")) until the first Duke of Northumberland was established in 1551 (John Dudley.. executed 1553).

John Dudley was the de facto ruler of England when he was named Duke of Northumberland (Henry VIII being so ill).

Truth to tell the Kings/Queens up until then prefered a "buffer" between England and Scotland and weren't bothered if those in Northumberland prefered loyalty to themselves over the Crown. "English Law" only came to the borders during the wars between England and Scotland, and left with the respective armies.

As to leaving... I'm quite happy where i am, but as I said, I have more in common politically, culturally and belief with those in Scotland than in the Home Counties.

If the Union broke up, I'd be more than happy to accept your suggestion Re: Hadrians Wall, as this would place me north of the border.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234