Thread: Msconfig

MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Ok here's a nuisance I just searched and couldn't find any answers. I just turned off fast user switching, remote access connecti...(protect against hacking), and remote desktop help se...(protect against hacking) in msconfig. I turned fast user switiching off once before(it's useless) and I'm getting the same problem I got last time. I THINK it's a bug in xp. Here's what happens. After you make the changes in msconfig and reboot, it pops up a stupid window letting you know you are booting up "selective startup" and even if you check the box that says "don't show me this at startup" it "forgets" all the time and you have to close the window about every 4 out of 10 times you reboot. Is this a bug?

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Doesn't do that for me when i edit msconfig =/

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I too have tweaked my XP to run to my custom settings on numerous occaisons, and in all of those instances, the reboot following the changes displayed that alert message. However, I never received any additional alerts afterwards.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Must be a registry error in your system. If it was a known problem it would show in a search of the MS knowledge base. You might want to try replacing the executable with a new one.

There are ripped downloads available for use in other systems but they got it from XP anyway.

http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    chalkmongoose
    Ah... Good point. And also, before installing msconfig from the third party site disable WFP (Windows File Protection), or MSConfig cannot be replaced. As I do not remember how to do this, you'll need to check Google.com. It's a fairly popular question, so you'll find a lot of articles.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    It doesn't do it constantly, if I remember correctly certain things would "trigger it" (after I installed certain things).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    chalkmongoose
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@16 July 2003 - 04:13
    It doesn't do it constantly, if I remember correctly certain things would "trigger it" (after I installed certain things).
    That means that the installed apps changed your settings.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    thanks for not only this help but the other help in pm. My computer runs great because of you guys.