Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ath.cx And Windows Xp

  1. #1
    chalkmongoose
    Guest
    Not for anything important mind you, but I like seeing all the fun XP features, like primary DNS suffix. Say I got (and I do have) shellcreatives.ath.cx.
    Now I slapped that as my primary DNS suffix, installed a dynamic DNS updater, and setup up WiFi to use static IP addresses. With all that in mind, do I HAVE to install a goddamn web server, or can I type in localhost.shellcreatives.ath.cx and connect to my shared folder, which just so happens to also be my Kazaa shared folder...

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar 3μ|\|(7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,585
    Try being a lot more decisive in regard to your question then maybe we can help you better.

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Yes, you can at least setup a simple IIS and enable browsing option

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar 3μ|\|(7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,585
    Originally posted by chalkmongoose@15 July 2003 - 21:56
    Not for anything important mind you, but I like seeing all the fun XP features, like primary DNS suffix. Say I got (and I do have) shellcreatives.ath.cx.
    Now I slapped that as my primary DNS suffix, installed a dynamic DNS updater, and setup up WiFi to use static IP addresses. With all that in mindshellcreatives.ath.cx, do I HAVE to install a goddamn web server, or can I type in localhost. and connect to my shared folder, which just so happens to also be my Kazaa shared folder...
    try this http://localhost:1214


  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Belle Vernon, PA, USA
    Posts
    644
    Originally posted by chalkmongoose@16 July 2003 - 04:56
    With all that in mind, do I HAVE to install a goddamn web server, or can I type in localhost.shellcreatives.ath.cx and connect to my shared folder, which just so happens to also be my Kazaa shared folder...
    Ummm... Just because you own a domain that's hosted somewhere doesn't mean your computer itself suddenly becomes a webserver just by using the address of your hosted website...

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar 3μ|\|(7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,585
    I dont think he has a web host. Thats a free sub domain from http://www.dyndns.org/ that he is talking about. dyndns.org allows you to have one of their sub domains provided you have it redirected to an ip address. dyndns.org is not a web hosting company last I checked. They provide domain registration, dynamic dns services, free sub domains and redirections, etc.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    chalkmongoose
    Guest
    Oh well. I guess I'll configure Apache. Thanks for the help.

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Belle Vernon, PA, USA
    Posts
    644
    Originally posted by shn@16 July 2003 - 11:22
    I dont think he has a web host. Thats a free sub domain from http://www.dyndns.org/ that he is talking about. dyndns.org allows you to have one of their sub domains provided you have it redirected to an ip address. dyndns.org is not a web hosting company last I checked. They provide domain registration, dynamic dns services, free sub domains and redirections, etc.
    Ohhh... Well, let me rephrase that then.

    Just owning a domain name does not suddenly turn your computer into a webserver, even if the DNS entry points to said computer. Without a web server running, you'll probably just get a "connection refused" error.

    Also, there's no need for the "localhost." prefix if you set the domain name to point to your own IP.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •