Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Is nationalism dead ?

  1. #1
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Some Where but not here
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,541
    is it?

    am talking Football, is sense of nationalism dead in it these days? atleast in Europe.

    i see some teams having 0-2 national players among it, teams like arsenal and InterMilan. majority of English clubs have non-nationals more then nationals in their 1st team to the point that even clubs are owned by other nationality, owned by Americans and Russians so is Spanish and Italians except German teams, they mostly use their own talents.

    to be fair not all teams are like that but mostly the top teams whom represent their leagues are.

    Blatter seeks to reduce the dominance of foreign players on European soccer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepp Blatter
    KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 6 (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter is working with the European Union on plans to reduce the number of overseas players dominating teams in leagues across Europe.
    Speaking to reporters in the Malaysian capital, where he is attending a regional award ceremony, Blatter said it was time for a change in Europe.
    "The European Union does not cover this issue in its constitution at the moment but sport will be mentioned for the first time when they change their laws in December," Blatter said.
    "There are a number of processes coming together to stop the overwhelming presence of non-national players in club leagues."
    Blatter added that FIFA would like to set a limit of five foreigners in any starting line-up with the other six berths comprising players eligible to be selected for the national team of the country where the league was based.
    The top teams in the English Premier League such as champions Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are all packed with foreign players.
    Blatter said the EU would give sport the power to police its own members and that meant FIFA would be able to have a say in how many foreign players were allowed at a single club.
    "We were in Italy recently watching Inter Milan against Juventus," Blatter said.
    "While the Inter team had only three European players and none of them Italian, Juve had six Italian players.
    "Certainly, things are happening to bring local players back to club football."
    In 1998, former German player and coach Franz Beckenbauer said he envisaged a future where the rise of European clubs would erode the popularity of FIFA's flagship tournament, the World Cup.
    However, Blatter said the World Cup was still the biggest tournament on the planet and that interest in national competitions would remain high.
    "I think Franz Beckenbauer would change his mind now because he is a member of the FIFA committee. I don't see national teams disappearing in favour of clubs," he said.
    Last edited by BawA; 11-06-2007 at 08:19 PM.


    "You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

  2. Sports Club   -   #2
    snowultra's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    1,062
    as far as leagues----yes

    not for the world cup though, everyone returns to there home country.

  3. Sports Club   -   #3
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Some Where but not here
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,541
    Duh
    obviously, do you think ex-expatriates will play for national teams or what.


    "You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

  4. Sports Club   -   #4
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by BawA View Post
    Duh
    obviously, do you think ex-expatriates will play for national teams or what.
    Then duh, a professional team is just that.

    The aim isn't nationalism. It's to win.

    I think it's stupid to eliminate others from playing on professional team based on nationality.

    Are these teams solely owned by the government?

    If not then the government should fuck off and teams should be allowed to continue seeking out the best players available.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  5. Sports Club   -   #5
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Some Where but not here
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,541
    i never said to eliminate(can yo find that i said), all am asking is a pro club shouldnt come to stage where no local player is among it, as Blatter said atleast 5 local players should be among it.
    if clubs stop hiring local players then a national teams soon wont have any body to play with, local talent will just disappear since national team doesn't play much and soon there will be no national team and then no WorldCup. nobody will put his time on something which pays by matches, national teams are seasonal.


    "You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

  6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    13,839
    Quote Originally Posted by BawA View Post
    i never said to eliminate(can yo find that i said), all am asking is a pro club shouldnt come to stage where no local player is among it, as Blatter said atleast 5 local players should be among it.
    if clubs stop hiring local players then a national teams soon wont have any body to play with, local talent will just disappear since national team doesn't play much and soon there will be no national team and then no WorldCup. nobody will put his time on something which pays by matches, national teams are seasonal.
    That makes no sense to me.

    People play for a national team for patriotism not money (well there are endorsements).

    I'd be very surprised if the Italians playing for an English club don't wanna play for Italy when it comes time and similar for an Englishman playing for an Italian club.

    What you propose is in direct contrast to the free market and making a living. It's downright unAmerican.........
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

    Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

  7. Sports Club   -   #7
    dnero73's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The 510 TO Mexico
    Posts
    107
    i know what you mean for Example my cities team Guadalajara FC is the only team in
    Mexico that has only Mexican nationals ,but i think if all teams did this it would take away from the beauty of the sport i can´t picture Barcelona playing at the level they do with oot any of the non spanish team members or any team for that matter

  8. Sports Club   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post
    The aim isn't nationalism. It's to win.

    I think it's stupid to eliminate others from playing on professional team based on nationality.
    Although I agree, what's the point in keeping a cities name, if they don't represent it anymore?

  9. Sports Club   -   #9
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Some Where but not here
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BawA View Post
    i never said to eliminate(can yo find that i said), all am asking is a pro club shouldnt come to stage where no local player is among it, as Blatter said atleast 5 local players should be among it.
    if clubs stop hiring local players then a national teams soon wont have any body to play with, local talent will just disappear since national team doesn't play much and soon there will be no national team and then no WorldCup. nobody will put his time on something which pays by matches, national teams are seasonal.
    That makes no sense to me.

    People play for a national team for patriotism not money (well there are endorsements).

    I'd be very surprised if the Italians playing for an English club don't wanna play for Italy when it comes time and similar for an Englishman playing for an Italian club.

    What you propose is in direct contrast to the free market and making a living. It's downright unAmerican.........
    do you think those who play for national teams are selected from street or what? they are selected from the local clubs, if local club stop using local talents and stop finding new face soon there will be no new resources to put in commission for national team and nobody will put his time exclusively on a national team because as i said its not a fixed job its seasonal, also there is no national team which has a permanent timetable. you may say they're also selected from foreign clubs but majority of players start their career from local clubs then move.
    for now you may think there is enough local players to choose from but once they loss their edge and youth who do you think national team will select from and clubs dont hire/train them any more.

    i know what you mean for Example my cities team Guadalajara FC is the only team in
    Mexico that has only Mexican nationals ,but i think if all teams did this it would take away from the beauty of the sport i can´t picture Barcelona playing at the level they do with oot any of the non spanish team members or any team for that matter
    again, i didnt say to play with locals only all am saying is to give hidden talents a chance to show up.
    sport was a beauty, now days its all about the Benjamin's, they dont want to represent any1, way or other they want to win to cash in more.
    Last edited by BawA; 11-07-2007 at 08:24 PM.


    "You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

  10. Sports Club   -   #10
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by BawA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post

    That makes no sense to me.

    People play for a national team for patriotism not money (well there are endorsements).

    I'd be very surprised if the Italians playing for an English club don't wanna play for Italy when it comes time and similar for an Englishman playing for an Italian club.

    What you propose is in direct contrast to the free market and making a living. It's downright unAmerican.........
    do you think those who play for national teams are selected from street or what? they are selected from the local clubs, if local club stop using local talents and stop finding new face soon there will be no new resources to put in commission for national team and nobody will put his time exclusively on a national team because as i said its not a fixed job its seasonal, also there is no national team which has a permanent timetable. you may say they're also selected from foreign clubs but majority of players start their career from local clubs then move.
    for now you may think there is enough local players to choose from but once they loss their edge and youth who do you think national team will select from and clubs dont hire/train them any more.

    i know what you mean for Example my cities team Guadalajara FC is the only team in
    Mexico that has only Mexican nationals ,but i think if all teams did this it would take away from the beauty of the sport i can´t picture Barcelona playing at the level they do with oot any of the non spanish team members or any team for that matter
    again, i didnt say to play with locals only all am saying is to give hidden talents a chance to show up.
    sport was a beauty, now days its all about the Benjamin's, they dont want to represent any1, way or other they want to win to cash in more.
    Again you are mixing national team and professional teams then.

    It is the professional team's job to pick from the best talent out there to win. There are already restrictions in place regarding foreign players and many times the local players demand way more money....if you wanna talk about Benjamins

    You propose some local quota as if local players don't get a chance. I think it's bullshit to say hire a local player if he's not good enough or costs way too much.

    Last time I checked Arsenal was called just that and not England.

    Quote Originally Posted by p-h-x View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post
    The aim isn't nationalism. It's to win.

    I think it's stupid to eliminate others from playing on professional team based on nationality.
    Although I agree, what's the point in keeping a cities name, if they don't represent it anymore?
    Oh so Arsenal and Chelsea have to have folks from London and Man U has to have folks from Manchester?

    Yeah that makes a ton of sense.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 11-08-2007 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •