Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Australia Primed To Be Yanked Into Us

SOURCE
    Noticed this news article today and got me thinking.....

Australia primed to be yanked into US
    By Tess Livingstone
    July 16, 2003

AUSTRALIA has been urged to seriously consider becoming the 51st state of the US.

And American-born historian Dr David Mosler told a Brisbane audience yesterday there was a 20 per cent chance of Australia becoming an American state in the next 50 years.

The visiting research fellow at Adelaide University, who has lived in Australia since 1971, said the chances would increase significantly in the event of a major Al-Qaeda attack on Australia or if Indonesia became a fundamentalist Islamic republic.

Dr Mosler told the 2003 Fulbright Symposium at Griffith University yesterday that he decided Australia was "an unreformable society" after the loss of the 1999 republic referendum.

Australians, he said, had no flag of their own; a weak sense of nationhood; no prime minister in the Lodge, with John Howard living in Sydney; no national bushfire or water plans, even with the worst drought in history; and no "broad knowledge of nation in public discourse or popular culture". Australians had replaced "Empire with Yanks" after 1942, and the country retained a "quasi-colonial status".

He said Australian governments, attuned to the British, Americans, Japanese and global capital markets, had "sold off the farm" - electricity, water, ports, airports, resources - while Australians weren't offended by such "treasonous behaviour".

He said Australia's passage to American statehood would not be difficult under its Constitution.

He listed the advantages of American statehood for Australia as:

* Access to the world's best higher education system.

* Large savings on embassies.

* Being part of the world's most effective defence system.

* Merger with the world's strongest currency.

* Being part of the world's biggest economy.

* A constitution bringing a republic and a Bill of Rights.

* Fielding teams in the US national basketball, baseball and gridiron competitions.

The Courier-Mail

2. Lounge   -   #2
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    It was bound to happen, the uk is getting sick of us.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    I thought the UK was going to be the 51st state as Blair seems to play second fiddle to all of Bushes half baked plans

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@16 July 2003 - 12:30
    Amen to that.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@16 July 2003 - 12:30
    Bloody Aussies, sending their crap beer (Fosters, Castlemain) over here.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Proffesional Dumbass
    can that happen?

7. Lounge   -   #7
    LoStEmPiRe's Avatar Member
    If that happened it would be so crap. Don't get me wrong, I'm anti anti-seppo, and i'm greatful for their ww2 efforts, but I think we can stand on our own 2 feet.

OTOH, we don't need to be the 51st state to be part of USA. We already copy everything they do. I'm dreading the day our legal system becomes like theirs (oh god, it's already started&#33

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Originally posted by LoStEmPiRe@16 July 2003 - 12:29
    If that happened it would be so crap. Don't get me wrong, I'm anti anti-seppo, and i'm greatful for their ww2 efforts, but I think we can stand on our own 2 feet.

OTOH, we don't need to be the 51st state to be part of USA. We already copy everything they do. I'm dreading the day our legal system becomes like theirs (oh god, it's already started&#33
    Their legal system is not as bad as the one in the UK.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Originally posted by The Knife Thrower@16 July 2003 - 14:09
    Their legal system is not as bad as the one in the UK.
    There is so much i could say about that statement i dont know where to start!!!Where is the uk system worse than usa's???

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    I think it's because we give children the death penalty in the UK, oh wait...

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast