Thread: Phoenix Technologies Launches HyperSpace

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Tired of Windows? The next generation of laptops may let you jump from one operating system to another to play movies, surf the Web or read e-mail.

Phoenix Technologies Ltd., a leading maker of the software that controls Windows computers most basic workings, announced this week that it will offer a feature it calls HyperSpace to laptop manufacturers.

Woody Hobbs, the Milpitas, Calif.-based company's chief executive, said the first application of the technology probably will show up next summer in the shape of laptops that can play DVDs outside Windows.

User will be able to boot in a few seconds straight into the DVD player, skipping the longer Windows startup, or switch to the DVD player from Windows. If Windows is running at the same time, it can be put in sleep mode, prolonging battery life.

Laptops with a media player separate from Windows already exist, but the players don't run parallel to Windows (you have to boot into the player, then shut it down and boot into Windows to switch tasks).

Laptops with HyperSpace would likely have a separate button that instantly switches away from Windows .

Source: http://www.tdn.com/articles/2007/11/.../d8sp0kp00.txt
    Homepage: http://investor.phoenix.com/en/about...3099&Year=2007

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ah geez sorry for the 404 error whats up with that ? The BIOS maker is branching out I see . I know some Mobo's (Asus) had a cd function to play your music with out booting to windows but I never used it . I just thought while I posted what a neat idea who's time has come .

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    Doesn't sound like a very interesting idea to me. If you need a DVD player than bring one, don't turn your laptop into a DVD player with a dead computer along for the ride. I just use Windows power settings and put the processor and other components to sleep. Works fine