Thread: Hey ! I'm new here

Wormtail's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90
    Hi ! I'm new in this newsgroup things. Iam using a portuguese newsgroup. But I have a doubt. Can I download using the NZB that you posted in the other sub-forums ? I need to pay to download that NZB'S ?

Thanks

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Ne'tu's Avatar Member BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Hello!

No, there are no fees here.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Wormtail's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90BT Rep +90
    But, if I import an NZB from here, and I put in GrabIT that says " file not found " or something like that. I´m using my isp newsserver.

What server I must use to download the FST NZB'S ?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    To get the most out of usenet you will probably have to pay for a server. I like giganews but there are others that are cheaper and still really good.

newshosting
    usenetserver
    newsdemon

this guide is very usefull too

I just started using newsgroups a few weeks ago and its not to tough to learn but is great fun to master.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    I can't believe there are no free Usenet servers out there... why?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormtail View Post
    But, if I import an NZB from here, and I put in GrabIT that says " file not found " or something like that. I´m using my ISP news server.

What server I must use to download the FST NZB'S ?
    Old NZB files get deleted off this site regularly. I don't know how long they are kept, I don't regularly use the index here.

Anyways, If you are using an ISP Usenet service chances are that the files in question would have been dumped already. Retention on such services is about 10 days or so, with few exceptions.

Now if you are willing to pay...
    Giganews offers retention of 200+ days, and Newzbin.com keeps NZB files for 200 days also.

Quote Originally Posted by Microsucht View Post
    I can't believe there are no free Usenet servers out there... why?
    There is free services, your ISP probably runs a server for Usenet. The thing is they usually suck. Files get deleted after just a few days, capped speeds, and in-completes.

For a few dollars a month, a premium service is well worth not having to deal with all the pains in the ass.
    Last edited by Broken; 11-11-2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Holy crap... sorry, but what on earth is "retention", "NZB" and "FST". Is that Chinese?

And how can I find my own ISP's news server? I'm in The Netherlands, using the provider called KPN.

Thanks

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Retention is how long a service keeps files on hand before they delete them to make room for new ones. This can range from a few days, to a few months. There is also a matter of completion, simply how many complete file sets they have.

An .NZB file tells your news reader (client application) where to find a set of files on Usenet. I.E., if you wanted to download Debbie Does Dallas you download the .NZB and it will download all the parts of that movie off Usenet.

If you want to find out about your ISP's news server ask them. It's not a deep dark secret, or anything bad. They will tell you the server address and if you need any log-in information. Keep in mind that not all ISP supply newsgroups access. Some do but do not support binaries (file) only text. And, that for the most part ISP newsgroups suck with poor retention and completion, and download speed.

FST, as referred to here is just this site's NZB file index
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/nzbindex.php

Dumbed down enough?
    Last edited by Broken; 11-12-2007 at 01:05 AM.