Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is This Cooler Worth It

Originally posted by Livy@16 July 2003 - 23:23
    i was thinking about it sonce it got the little bit for turning it up and down, but i fancy an asus motherboard and it automatically throtles the fan.
    you can turn off q-fan/throttle cpu in bios for asus boards
    mine is turned off now, for example
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    I got a 2000 running at 35 degrees under load with a thermaltake volcano 7 so I think it&#39;s not just fan or heatsink design. Good prep and maintainance seem to go just as far.

I also have 3 case fans pulled from old power supplies so that may help a lot.

3rd gen noob, did you have any luck with Cooler XP ?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    yeah that would prob help. i got an old power supply fan in my other comp the now

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Originally posted by balamm@16 July 2003 - 23:34
    3rd gen noob, did you have any luck with Cooler XP ?
    no, i didn&#39;t actually
    my idle temp went up from 40 degrees celsius to 44 degrees celsius.
    that doesn&#39;t sound too bad, however, motherboard monitor seems to read 6-8 degrees celsius too low when compared to bios temp sensors, so the idle temp with coolerxp is approx 50-52 degrees c

and with the current (very) warm weather, the idle temp has increased to 48 degrees, which really means 54-56

thanks for asking though

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Have you tried an alohol bath to clean the cooler ?
    I had one go way up on me and there wasn&#39;t a lot of dust, but the thermal compound had baked away and grease from the air had pretty much coated the fins. It dropped 10 degrees after the alcohol and a very thick coating of generic thermal paste.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Originally posted by balamm@17 July 2003 - 00:13
    Have you tried an alohol bath to clean the cooler ?
    I had one go way up on me and there wasn&#39;t a lot of dust, but the thermal compound had baked away and grease from the air had pretty much coated the fins. It dropped 10 degrees after the alcohol and a very thick coating of generic thermal paste.
    good idea
    thanks for the tip

i&#39;ve only had the current heatsink/fan combo for about 4 months now, and i regularly check for dust build up.
    thankfully there isn&#39;t a lot of dust where i keep the pc, but i&#39;ll certainly keep this tip in mind

i suppose the easiest thing to do would be to buy a new full copper heatsink, as only the base on this one is copper. the rest is aluminium, i&#39;ll probably buy a new one soon

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lynx's Avatar .
    This is not intended as an endorsement or criticism of the cooler in any way, since I have no information other than that advertised.

However, it seems to me that by increasing the air pressure around the heatsink, this must automatically improve the efficiency of the device. Increased air pressure means proportionately more molecules in contact with the heatsink, and since forced air cooling is primarily by conduction, more heat can be removed for the same volume transferred.

Since noise is created by a combination of fan design and volume of air moved, it would seem logical that a design which is inherently quieter and at the same time produces equivalent heat removal with a smaller airflow would almost by definition be quieter.

I would suggest that this cooler is not likely to give any great benefits in cooling terms over traditional designs, but may result in significant noise reduction.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12