Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patio Heaters

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    In the light of the threats of global warning should patio heaters be banned? A few public houses that I know have outside 'smoking area' where people are sitting under large canopies or umbrellas. They are surrounded by patio heaters to keep them comfortable. How much energy is this wasting?

In my area and I am sure a few others they have become the latest status symbol. Come to think of it, having glass in your windows in my area is a status symbol.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Should we ban lawn mowers, too? Surely the combined heat from them is far more than a few patio heaters.

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Should we ban lawn mowers, too? Surely the combined heat from them is far more than a few patio heaters.
    You lawn does need to be cut however. I don't mean yours in particular.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Needing to be cut and using a modern lawn mower are two different subjects. The traditional push style mower (not sure the exact name) work just fine for plenty of years. My Father in fact still uses one at their second home.

Like patio heaters, modern lawn movers are a luxury. As are plenty of other heat producing objects - Boats, go-carts, leaf blowers, snowmobiles.... there are a thousand mechanical luxuries that expel heat.

If Global warming it hot on your list of priorities (no pun intended), then patio heaters should be #1001 on list of item to eliminate.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet that the winter cold where they are being used, neutralizes that heat after about 10 feet of air travel.
    Last edited by Skizo; 11-17-2007 at 09:09 AM.

yo

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5

Needing to be cut and using a modern lawn mower are two different subjects. The traditional push style mower (not sure the exact name) work just fine for plenty of years. My Father in fact still uses one at their second home.

Like patio heaters, modern lawn movers are a luxury. As are plenty of other heat producing objects - Boats, go-carts, leaf blowers, snowmobiles.... there are a thousand mechanical luxuries that expel heat.

If Global warming it hot on your list of priorities (no pun intended), then patio heaters should be #1001 on list of item to eliminate.
    I agree about the other energy using objects. Nearly all of them have a purpose. The sole purpose of the patio heater is to heat the atmosphere.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

I agree about the other energy using objects. Nearly all of them have a purpose. The sole purpose of the patio heater is to heat the atmosphere.
    Sure they have a purpose; so does the patio heater - it keeps people warm. A leaf blower blows leaves around while putting off heat and blowing fairly hot air.

Both are luxury items that put hot air into the environment. The reason is moot.

yo

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Both are luxury items that put hot air into the environment. The reason is moot.
    I don't think that in either case the issue is the "heat" the device puts in the air, rather, it's the energy required to produce the heat in the first place.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    That was essentially my point in post #4.

yo

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    But patio heaters sure do make the outdoors more comfy,
    hence they motivate people to be outside,
    hence closer to nature,
    hence causing awareness of the natura.
    win win

The only thing i miss with patio heaters is that they don't give you a sun tan.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    In the light of the threats of global warning should patio heaters be banned? A few public houses that I know have outside 'smoking area' where people are sitting under large canopies or umbrellas. They are surrounded by patio heaters to keep them comfortable. How much energy is this wasting?

In my area and I am sure a few others they have become the latest status symbol. Come to think of it, having glass in your windows in my area is a status symbol.
    Are you joking?

The heat from patio heaters has nothing to do with global warming.

Maybe you should talk about banning fire pits since that's much more applicable.

You have got to be joking unless you are talking about what's used to fuel patio heaters....like propane and gas.

The ones I've seen personally, use electricity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast