Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disk Defrag

Pleease Help me to get defrag going all the way. Before i've managed to get it going again by closing any background applications and/or disabling screensaver but, this this time even after running scandisk it won't play ball.
    Grateful if someone can help, Babel

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    What app are you using to defrag with?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    sometimes i have it too Babel, it even makes it impossible to defrag with Nortons' speed disk.

But deleting the contence of C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG helped a lot to me (WIN98).

- it's a hidden directory. If not visible adjust the options in your explorer under "view".

I always have the impression some program is still running, but i never found it. So i'm curious for any replies...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Why, why, why, are you not defragging in safe mode ? NEver mind all the deleting, disabling, all the other nonsense. Hold the control button while you boot into safe mode and do your scandisks and defrags from there in all win9x systems.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Xilo: I am using Win98's sys. tools.

djflypson: Thanx for applog tip very handy to know about, not just for defragging.

balamm: Like your thinking, might even have thought of that myself had i not been standing in the wrong queue...., " coulda sworn they said trains " .....
    Big Thankyou!!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I was not defragging in safe mode (yet), cause Balamm just told me !

THX

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Forget Sys Tools. Get Raxco Perfect Disk v6.0 and do an offline defragment. Tick the options to defrag pagefile & system files.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    i used to use the windows defragger, it had the same problem - to this day i never found out why

- i ended all tasks
    - i cleaned out the startup section in the registry
    - i ran in safe mode

my conclusion: microsoft defragger = SHIT
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Did you maybe stop to think that it's because windows is a running process?
    All the drivers and applications that start invisibly are running processes which cannot and SHOULD not be defragged.
    Starting windows in safe mode loads a minimum of drivers and programs so that none are writing to disk during a defrag.
    NTFS can be defragged on the fly safely.
    Fat32 cannot and some data loss is likely if you force it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    ... strange, under safe mode (windows defrag) does not work for me. Closing all applications etc. (norton, offline) does. (?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast