Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are people paying for BT?

Cheffy's Avatar Slut up ! BT Rep: +4
    Well if people have enough money to donate hundreds of dollars to each month, its their choice to do it. Remember that for a lot of people this is their hobby. They enjoy doing it, and probably spend hours on a site every day reading posts chatting on irc, and downloading files. And its the same with any hobby, if you have a hobby you enjoy you do not mind spending some money on it. It goes for everything form collecting stamps to going to the gym, what ever your hobby is you usually spend money on it.

And if no one ever donated there will not have been many torrentsites thats for sure. And why is it ok pay for newsgroup access and not willingly donate to a torrent site?
    And i really doubt news groups have the kind of pretimes that some of the torrentsite does.

For some people might do it for the star, but for others do it because they enjoy and appreciate the time and effort the mods and uploaders put into the site, and what to make sure that owner of the site is sitting alone with the bill for thousands of dollars just to keep the site running at a decent speed.

Edit; and for the record im not affiliated with any torrentsites nor have a ever donated any money to them. But i bow down and respect the people are a making sure my favorite site is here the next month.
    Last edited by Cheffy; 11-12-2007 at 08:26 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    When I did use torrent sites (back at the start of BT), I can say I never visited a site for the community.
    That's like saying you only read penthouse for the articles. lol
    Looking in the worng place.

For community there is much better places to look.

I do think that about 90% of the people using torrents would be much happier with NG's but are just to cheap/unable to pay.
    And the ones that are giving cash out... well I still don't get it. Is that star under your usernames really that big of a turn on?
    Well I am on torrent sites for thier community ... thier IRC communitys ... and there is only 1 torrent site i would ever donate too - F*C -its the only one i trust ...

if u pay every month NG's are the way to go ... a one time donation every once in a while (like very 3-4 months) would be cheaper then NG's

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    game1283's Avatar "ǝuo ǝɥʇ" BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I just want to, no more questions

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    I have donated to one tracker two separate times. I did so because they have served me very well for over a year now and I'm pleased with the service I have been receiving. A donation was just my way of thanking them.

Now, would I donate to a company from which I purchased.. say... a music cd? Of course not, they've already received compensation for their work. More people should donate if they enjoy these free services.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    I think it ironic that this thread even exists, when you consider that the thread starter is so biased in the first place.

Remember that people have a choice.

On looking at the opening post, I see that Broken is actually loading his questions in favour of NGs. He is not simply asking, but weighing the question against torrent communities.

This sort of leading on, is a perversion...

You may have your opinions, but when you raise a question like...

Why would anyone pay for BT other than pure ignorance?

you load the question. How can anyone even answer that question? How can someone justify donating without admitting ignorance, according to your question?

Another loaded question...

If the site can't sustain it's self in some other way than having a few foolish people throw money at the operators shouldn't the do everyone a favor and just shut down?

Donators are stupid?

You fail to ask the question properly, or may be you aimed to raise the hackles of people who do donate.

What I'm saying is why pay for something that other people are supply to you for free? The only guys getting paid are the middlemen that contribute nothing to the equation.

Talk about loading a question. Can you post absolute proof that the people receiving donations are indeed middlemen who contribute absolutely nothing?

I doubt it.

More leading questions...

For community there is much better places to look.

I do think that about 90% of the people using torrents would be much happier with NG's but are just to cheap/unable to pay.
    And the ones that are giving cash out... well I still don't get it. Is that star under your usernames really that big of a turn on?

There are much better places to look, in your own personal opinion, and how can you be certain that 90% of people would be much happier with News Groups? Again, you lead the question and you make unfounded assumptions.

If your going to raise questions, you need to be neutral, and if your biased, as indeed you obviously appear to be (towards NGs), then I question whether you are the right individual to even raise these questions.

Most people who simply ask why someone would donate to a torrent community, but the way you have worded your statements actually insults the people who donate to a torrent community. Whether you think it right or wrong, what gives you the right to be derogatory towards other peoples opinions and perceptions?

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Damn brainy fox! Well said

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Living on the edge BT Rep: +4
    yup nobody forces u to pay its a individuals decision whether he want to pay or not and if a poll is created to see how many users donate i dont think more 20% people donate

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    There are a lot of reasons why people pay for downloading .torrents.
    The most important is that they do it because they want to.
    The second, because they can.
    And after that there are many reasons too... not everybody has 10mbits/10mbits connections and keeping ratio may become something really hard. Two years ago I had the best ISP and the most expensive connection in my country: 1536kbps/128kbps, so I couldnīt maintain any decent ratio at any site, I had two choices: a) go to public trackers, with my connection you can guess the rest b) pay a small amount, always very much less that what Iīd pay for buying the same thing.
    Besides, I think that people who run trackers deserve some kind of help for giving us free stuff, and in the meanwhile they work for us, spend a lot of time and resources. If they obtain benefits, good for them!!!! they deserve it... as long as making money is not their primary goal.
    And, at last, if Iīm comfortable in a community, if I get stuff, Iīm well treated... why canīt I collaborate with an amount that makes me not richer nor poorer?. Itīs so easy to get, to ask... even to demand, and doing absolutely nothing in change.
    And in all these years nobody forced me, nowhere, to donate (not to pay... donate is the right word), so... it was, it is and it will be my choice.

By the way:
    Chapeau!!! TheFox.
    Last edited by Nemrod; 11-12-2007 at 02:33 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    munkyboy04's Avatar Monkey Mafia BT Rep: +3
    I wouldnt mind donating to trackers if it was a way of giving p2p legitimacy. ie If that money went to the artist's and to the torrent site.

I dont know why the RIAA and such like dont look at this as a way of "gaining control". how many people would mind paying Ģ20 a month for waffles or somthing if that meant they werent breaking the law and could still enjoy the music they love. the artist would be happy the tracker staff would be minted, And the consumer would be pleased.

What do people think?

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Cheffy's Avatar Slut up ! BT Rep: +4
    Grate post TheFox.

And munkyboy04, well i dont see this happening anytime soon.

And you also have to take into consideration that the RIAA and MPAA dont really want filesharing to stop.
    Becouse if they managed to find a way to block everything or make it legal it would mean they they are actually handing in their own resignation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast