Thread: Quieter Puter'

Well, this may be off topic a little bit, but it works pretty well.

I OC the shit out of my machines, an run liquid cooling. The fans for the radiator/heat exchanger tend to be loud as shit. I took my case apart and sprayed it with the rubber undercoating for cars and it dropped the noise noticeably. It probably retains a bit more heat this way, but I have spare cooling capacity so....

Anyway I hope this helps someone.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    If you have the dough, get water cooling. B)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I've got it already. Plus I'm running a peltier on the CPU and the Video card with a waterblock on each.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    just a question, but if you are overclocking so much that you need to buy lots of extra cooling equipment, and have to put up with lots more noise as a result of this, and run the risk of damaging parts and invalidating warranties, is it really worth all the hassle and the extra cost? would it be cheaper just buying higher spec hardware? But then i guess if you got higher spec stuff, you'd want to OC it even higher anyways.

My PC runs as fast as i need it to, and it's as quiet as a mouse. I can understand people wanting to tweak a little extra juice out of their machine, but not if they need to hook up the fridge-freezer to the case, and wear the ear-protector things those dudes on airport runways wear just to use the damn PC.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    my hewlitt packard cd-r/rw drive is loud as f*ck when it spins at those high speeds. Can anyone recommend a drive that spins fast(like 32x) and doesn't sound like a vibrational circus?

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    chalkmongoose
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@13 July 2003 - 17:58
    my hewlitt packard cd-r/rw drive is loud as f*ck when it spins at those high speeds. Can anyone recommend a drive that spins fast(like 32x) and doesn't sound like a vibrational circus?
    That's odd as hell. I got a Plextor that does 48 (24 with rewrite) and is "quiet as a mouse." Your CD drive shouldn't sound like the circus you have mentioned...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    What are the specs of your ocd machine anyways?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    120 gig striped Raid
    2 gig Rimmbus ram (800 mhz)
    P4 at 4.561 Ghz
    Geforce 4 128 med ddr 266
    32x cd-rw
    21" Sun Monitor
    Bose surround system
    Wireless keyboard/mouse
    SOYO gateway (bluetooth enabled)