Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are people paying for BT?

Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    This is a serious question.
    Why would anyone donate any reasonable amount of money to a torrent site?

I know there is server expenses, but so what? If the site can't sustain it's self in some other way than having a few foolish people throw money at the operators shouldn't the do everyone a favor and just shut down? I know there is people giving literally hundred of dollars a month away to torrent sites just so that they can have an extra star under their user name and keep the place running -and I just think "idiots".

I mean, if people are going to pay to download or help with server expenses shouldn't they just get a Usenet (newsgroups) account and leech all they want as fast as they can? Torrent sites aren't supporting the releasers, while some are just making their operators rich.

Why would anyone pay for BT other than pure ignorance?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I'm back! :o BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    My view is this:

I download 1 movie just about every day and as much music as i can find that i like.

Take yesterday for example, I downloaded;
    * 35-40 music albums
    * 2 DVD-r movies.

Now lets put that into money value as if i would buy it from a store;

£10 - £15 per album. (Some where afew years old and in england, The older ones cost more in a store because not everywhere will have them.)

So, Lets just say £10 to make it easy to work out, and lets make the number a clean 40 albums.

Thats £400 worth of music alone, Then add £13 per movie giving a total of £426 worth of content (In the industries eyes at least) for nothing.

To me, Giving a site probably $20 is worth it just to help to make sure it stays online and i can download what catches my eye.

If i could afford to buy the stuff, I would, But for a low income household with 3 kids under 5 to feed, cloth etc, Money doesnt stretch far enough as it is.

Suppose we have different perspectives though
    Last edited by fook3d; 11-12-2007 at 03:21 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    misledhope's Avatar What.cd Mod BT Rep: +3
    the best torrent sites are run purely on donations. id rather give 10 dollars a month than pay to rent movies pay for cable buy cds or deal with ads.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    $SnoopDo2G$'s Avatar Don Doggy BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    It's a very good question... why would you pay them...
    that's why i only gave 0.05 $ to tracker once because they were really honnest n' shit

But ,nah seriously we don't need to pay those guys...
    like in most warez places they get all for free
    so if people are honnest they can just have ads n' stuff on their sites, but no need to pay them !!!

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    What I'm saying is why pay for something that other people are supply to you for free? The only guys getting paid are the middlemen that contribute nothing to the equation.

The people actually doing the releases, the people acctually doing the seeding, even the mods are not getting cash from these places. What donors are doing is giving cash to someone for doing almost nothing. It sounds like a pretty sweet scam once they make enough to cover hosting. They don't even have to run the site, mods will do it for them... and for free!

What is it these people using BT are paying for? They aren't paying for bandwidth, they aren't paying for customer support, they aren't paying for security... I'm just not understanding. Why not newsgroups if these guys (donors) have the cash to spend?
    Last edited by Broken; 11-12-2007 at 03:58 AM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    p1r4t3's Avatar More drama? ffs BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    What I'm saying is why pay for something that other people are supply to you for free? The only guys getting paid are the middlemen that contribute nothing to the equation.

The people actually doing the releases, the people acctually doing the seeding, even the mods are not getting cash from these places. What donors are doing is giving cash to someone for doing almost nothing. It sounds like a pretty sweet scam once they make enough to cover hosting. They don't even have to run the site, mods will do it for them... and for free!

What is it these people using BT are paying for? They aren't paying for bandwidth, they aren't paying for customer support, they aren't paying for security... I'm just not understanding. Why not newsgroups if these guys (donors) have the cash to spend?
    1. Donating to p2l trackers is meaningless

2. Some of the best trackers barely scrape through, and staff have to pitch in. they are providing the best community and losing money over it, whereas sites liek torrentspy earn big money hosting files with viruses. :-/

3. A lot of releases comes from the scene, and a lot of the best trackers pay for scene access, for the releases. i.e. they pay uploaders. Its only that material that rolls downhill to the smaller trackers. Take aXXo releases. Its re encoded from the scene releases. LOL

4. User rips and releases : most of the user rips and releases come from users who want to improve their ratio. But there are some dedicated uploaders who want to share their content to the community. and they dont want money.
    Last edited by p1r4t3; 11-12-2007 at 05:10 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    so instead of giving your money to artists, give them to BT tracker owners? Donating is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Only idiots donate.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Well I donate once in a while when I have some extra cash and I assure you I'm not an idiot. I do it because I like the communities and I would hate to see them go under. Site staff put in long ass hours and money of their own for what?? To be hated by members who feel they were wronged? Sure some barely scrape by but some do wind up making it I mean look @ SCT before they became P2L they had a surplus and people complained about that saying they were spending on themselves. It was proven that they had saved the money for "leaner" times. Also I have been hearing rumors about sites getting greedier and greedier with donations, but thats human nature I guess. The point is this, who are you guys to call people "Idiots" for wanting to help out others in need? Sure NG's would be cheaper but thats not the point, for me it's all about the community weather it's FST or SCT or Revolt or any of the other communities I am a part of I like it there I'm not just in it for the downloads. As Im sure alot of people aren't and IMO you guys sound like thats the only reason you're here and if you weren't so cheap you would have a server and go with NG's.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    When I did use torrent sites (back at the start of BT), I can say I never visited a site for the community.
    That's like saying you only read penthouse for the articles. lol
    Looking in the worng place.

For community there is much better places to look.

I do think that about 90% of the people using torrents would be much happier with NG's but are just to cheap/unable to pay.
    And the ones that are giving cash out... well I still don't get it. Is that star under your usernames really that big of a turn on?
    Last edited by Broken; 11-12-2007 at 06:08 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Broken is just speaking out the truth .. lol

i dont mind donating to a site if i have some extra cash .like i donate a few bucks and download 100 times worth stuff .. thats ok for me . but renting a server just for seeding purpose is just stupid . i would rather pay that money for usenet and leech the hell out of it !

and as for community , i have never found a community better than FST

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast