Thread: i got emailed by the RIAA

"Dear registered user of the site What.cd, We have recently been investigating the activities of the users of the site http://www.what.cd/ and we have found that this site exists for the sole purpose of music piracy. Pirating music is a criminal offence and we believe it should be obvious to you that the results outweigh the benefits - hard working artists won't be rewarded for their work and will stop producing music, ultimately leading to a severely reduced selection of music both in the shops and for download. The RIAA had hoped that the disabling by the police of the large illegal music site, Oink.cd, would stop a lot of people from engaging in piracy, as they don't want to be seen as criminals. However, this appears to not be the case, as two large new sites have sprung up in its place. This email is the final warning to all of you who were members of Oink.cd and are current members of What.cd. If we find you to be committing any more criminal acts of piracy then we will have to press charges against you, as representatives of the major record companies of America. Yours Faithfully, The RIAA"

Can they actually charge me? i dont think they can... and the artists make a shitload of money as it is.. greedy bastards

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    xJohnxSmithx's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    awe crap
    you better pack up your gear quick

just kidding...it's old news. Do a search here.
    Last edited by xJohnxSmithx; 11-13-2007 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by mooSa View Post
    Can they actually charge me? i dont think they can... and the artists make a shitload of money as it is.. greedy bastards
    don't worry. it's a fake mail. read the forum for more details.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    What was the sending email address?

I read the detailed explanation about what's happened on What the last couple of days and their malicious hacker could be spamming members...

I would only worry if you got a letter from the RIAA...an email is nothing legal.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    arkie, please read one of the several other threads for that information. You'll find it better presented there than rehashed here.

Linky: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bit...romised-249366

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Do you people even bother to look at other threads?

yo