Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sct disabled. Help?

Brandon - stop getting personal. I very much doubt you have the experience or knowledge of Feeling to have any real insight into the effect of his childhood and even if you did it has no place here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Because FTN isn't the example of taking torrent sites away from their original purpose and using them in what could be said immoral purposes. What could they possibly say that FTN is doing that is wrong? We don't do any immoral practices.
    You might want to take a look closer to home before you start taking the moral high ground. FTN and ScT arent so different you know. Both sites facilitate millions of dollars worth of copyright infringement and both sites accept money from their members. When you're in that position its not to easy to turn around and say what you do is fine but if you sell leech then you are scum.

At the end of the day Brandon you need to accept the fact that most users dont care if a site makes money. Look at TL they openly admit to it and everyone here loves them. You could start a thread here with absolute proof that ScT was making money.... You would get 20 pages of everyone posting how outrageous this was and how ScT staff are greedy bastards, then everyone who used sct would go back there and the others would go back to requesting invites. Nothing would change. I understand why as a former staffer you would be upset becuase you've put effort in to a site and now see someone else making money, but you need to appreciate that shouting about it here wont change anything. You're not with ScT anymore, you've started your own site and done things your way. Move on.

2. BitTorrent   -   #142
    (dupe post)

3. BitTorrent   -   #143
    Sexeh BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Brandon - stop getting personal. I very much doubt you have the experience or knowledge of Feeling to have any real insight into the effect of his childhood and even if you did it has no place here.
    I won't comment on that. But have it be known, you also don't have any experience or knowledge of what I know so your comment becomes a bit void.

Because FTN isn't the example of taking torrent sites away from their original purpose and using them in what could be said immoral purposes. What could they possibly say that FTN is doing that is wrong? We don't do any immoral practices.
    You might want to take a look closer to home before you start taking the moral high ground. FTN and ScT arent so different you know. Both sites facilitate millions of dollars worth of copyright infringement and both sites accept money from their members. When you're in that position its not to easy to turn around and say what you do is fine but if you sell leech then you are scum.
    Sure, FTN does take a step across morality in terms of warez. But only one of those two sites crosses the line and sells it. Not only are they selling things that artists/corporations are creating, but also the time that the groups use to get that infringement material even to them. Yes both sites accept money from their members, but once again, only one of those sites accepts it in an appropriate way. Once again, one site taking advantage of the situation at hand, vs the other not. It's very easy to say what I do is fine when compared to something that crosses the line on many more levels.

At the end of the day Brandon you need to accept the fact that most users dont care if a site makes money. Look at TL they openly admit to it and everyone here loves them. You could start a thread here with absolute proof that ScT was making money.... You would get 20 pages of everyone posting how outrageous this was and how ScT staff are greedy bastards, then everyone who used sct would go back there and the others would go back to requesting invites. Nothing would change. I understand why as a former staffer you would be upset becuase you've put effort in to a site and now see someone else making money, but you need to appreciate that shouting about it here wont change anything. You're not with ScT anymore, you've started your own site and done things your way. Move on.
    It's not the fact that sct/tl/etc makes money that is the problem. It's the fact that sct/tl/etc takes advantage of a situation (not to mention taking advantage of corporations and the groups that are putting all of this stuff on the internet) in order to benefit from it. Do you agree that it's ok for people to take advantage of others? I personally don't. And regarding TL, the fact that they openly admit to making money off the site takes away the ability for them to take advantage of users because the users know beforehand that they're making a profit. It's already in writing that they're purchasing. Is what TL does right? Of course not. TL takes advantage of the situation, sct takes advantage of the situation and the users. Both sites are at wrong. Besides, you and I both know SCT didn't have to go p2l to stay up.
    The point isnt that sites (sct as my example) make money or could be making money. It's that sites take advantage of others in such a shady way that the average person wouldn't realize it. I strongly disagree with people taking advantage of others.
    Last edited by Brandon; 11-16-2007 at 10:32 AM.
    Do not pm me for invites. At the moment I will not be participating here in that regard. I will ignore your pm.

4. BitTorrent   -   #144
    I won't comment on that. But have it be known, you also don't have any experience or knowledge of what I know so your comment becomes a bit void.
    I completely agree that I dont know taht much about you. But heres what I do know. I know youre a college student, so you probably dont have a great deal of experience of psychology. And I know you live the other side of the Atlantic to Feeling, so you probably dont know him that well.
    Its easy to make sweeping statements such as "perhaps you had an unhappy childhood" but you dont really know about whether he did or not and, as I said before, personal stuff like this doesnt belong here.

Sure, FTN does take a step across morality in terms of warez. But only one of those two sites crosses the line and sells it. Not only are they selling things that artists/corporations are creating, but also the time that the groups use to get that infringement material even to them. Yes both sites accept money from their members, but once again, only one of those sites accepts it in an appropriate way. Once again, one site taking advantage of the situation at hand, vs the other not. It's very easy to say what I do is fine when compared to something that crosses the line on many more levels.
    But point is who are you to say where the line should be drawn or what an "appropriate" way to cover your costs is. Making a few bucks from the site is nothing compared to the amount that torrent sites are costing the copyright owners everyday. People have different ideas of where the line should be drawn. I happen to agree that the line should be drawn at making a profit but I understand that others might not see it that way. At the end of the day I would rather all torrent sites made money (as long as i can use them for free) than have no sites at all.

It's not the fact that sct/tl/etc makes money that is the problem. It's the fact that sct/tl/etc takes advantage of a situation (not to mention taking advantage of corporations and the groups that are putting all of this stuff on the internet) in order to benefit from it. Do you agree that it's ok for people to take advantage of others? I personally don't. And regarding TL, the fact that they openly admit to making money off the site takes away the ability for them to take advantage of users because the users know beforehand that they're making a profit. It's already in writing that they're purchasing. Is what TL does right? Of course not. TL takes advantage of the situation, sct takes advantage of the situation and the users. Both sites are at wrong. Besides, you and I both know SCT didn't have to go p2l to stay up.
    The point isnt that sites (sct as my example) make money or could be making money. It's that sites take advantage of others in such a shady way that the average person wouldn't realize it. I strongly disagree with people taking advantage of others.
    Well I personally think TL is a lot worse. Not only do they profit on a much larger scale, but they also re-enable banned accounts if you pay them and have adverts. They also have a vip system that traps users in to it, as if you take advantage of their offer of leech then you will get banned if you dont renew 3months later. Kingrob might 'fess up that the sysops rake in a killing but if you read their faq it will also say that all money is spent on server costs

I dont agree that ScT takes advantage of anyone. Its very clear that you dont have to donate. Its also very clear
    what you get if you do donate. How is that taking advantage?

I agree that ScT probably didnt have to go p2l to say up (although ultimately not seeing their paypal accounts I can only make a good guess on this). That said, I stand by the fact that what good does it do to yell about it? Most users only really care about getting their files fast and dont really care about site politics, certainly not enough to stop using a site.
    Last edited by Zeus; 11-16-2007 at 10:53 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #145
    Sexeh BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I completely agree that I dont know taht much about you. But heres what I do know. I know youre a college student, so you probably dont have a great deal of experience of psychology. And I know you live the other side of the Atlantic to Feeling, so you probably dont know him that well.
    Its easy to make sweeping statements such as "perhaps you had an unhappy childhood" but you dont really know about whether he did or not and, as I said before, personal stuff like this doesnt belong here.
    Actually, after finding out how good I was at reading people's personalities and behaviors I changed my major to psychology. So contrary to your belief, I have 3 and a half years of psychology as of now (semester is ending). My minor is IT, and I plan on getting my masters once I graduate. As I said, you don't know much about me or what I know either. You don't have to live in the same country to understand somebody. Any psychologist knows that the key to understanding anything is through communication. Everything you do involves communication, even reading this post, your eyes are communicating with your brain. Talking to Feeling online, and seeing him act and behave is also communication. You're right I might not know factually that he had a bad childhood because I haven't asked him. But I can say based on what I do know, that the chances are high.

By point is who are you to say where the line should be drawn or what an "appropriate" way to cover your costs is. Making a few bucks from the site is nothing compared to the amount that torrent sites are costing the copyright owners everyday. People have different ideas of where the line should be drawn. I happen to agree that the line should be drawn at making a profit but I understand that others might not see it that way. At the end of the day I would rather all torrent sites made money )as long as i can use them for free) than have no sites at all.
    Good point. My main point was that someone saying something needed to be done, and only saying/doing it just to take advantage of the opportunity, vs the need for it.

Well I personally think TL is a lot worse. Not only do they profit on a much larger scale, but they also re-enable banned accounts if you pay them and have adverts. They also have a vip system that traps users in to it, as if you take advantage of their offer of leech then you will get banned if you dont renew 3months later. Kingrob might 'fess up that the sysops rake in a killing but if you read their faq it will also say that all money is spent on server costs
    How do you know sct doesn't re-enable accounts if you pay them? The thing I like about TL is all the answers are clearly out in the open. There are no uncertainties. When all the answers are on the table, it's hard to say someone was taken advantage of because they knew beforehand the circumstances at hand.

I dont agree that ScT takes advantage of anyone. Its very clear that you dont have to donate. Its also very clear
    what you get if you do donate. How is that taking advantage?
    You don't have to, but they make it difficult enough that you have to resort to it. That's considered taking advantage of both a person, and the situation. You don't have to buy the gas at my gas station, but would you be willing to walk 5 miles to get it elsewhere? Prob not, because the limited supply will cause you to eventually resort to getting it from me. Yes, sct prob hands out free invites, but I bet you it's on a very limited scale. That way, since the demand is so high people are forced to resort to buying them, but sct can say that they don't sell them b/c "some" users have them. Same with selling GB. SCT knows that there's high demand to use the tracker. They also know that the larger the userbase, the harder to seed back. They're even smart enough to know that most users don't have an internet connection fast enough to upload in competition with the servers. So they take advantage of the users and the situation and offer GB's for sale knowing that users will either have to not use the site, or purchase the GB. Make sense? That's taking advantage of the users who have crappy internet connections.

A more positive way to handle that would have been doing something another site did (changing the ratio from 1:1 to 1:2).

I agree that ScT probably didnt have to go p2l to say up (although ultimately not seeing their paypal accounts I can only make a good guess on this). That said, I stand by the fact that what good does it do to yell about it? Most users only really care about getting their files fast and dont really care about site politics, certainly not enough to stop using a site.
    There's so much demand and loyalty from some users on SCT, I can guarantee people would have donated willingly without expecting GB or invites in return to keep it up. That should be pretty obvious. I don't speak my mind expecting change to happen. I do speak my mind hoping for change to happen though. There's a phrase that goes a little something like this: "The worst thing you can say, is nothing at all."

Here's the question on my mind. Why can't sct just give out invites normally to every user instead of doing it for donating? Could it be related to the 3979 EUR of 1500 EUR donations currently in their account? Let me rephrase that. Does SCT "need" to sell invites?
    Goes along with what I said about limited supply. What better way to get donations then to open 3,000 or so slots with a limited supply of free invites in the population.
    Say it with me. Taking. Advantage.
    TL's goal is to make money which explains why they do what they do. What's sct's goal? If them opening slots on site was to help users and get more people in, why didn't they give an invite to every user for free? Is any of this making sense?
    Last edited by Brandon; 11-16-2007 at 11:23 AM.
    Do not pm me for invites. At the moment I will not be participating here in that regard. I will ignore your pm.

6. BitTorrent   -   #146
    GoLDeN's Avatar Black'n'White BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYoY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    i didn't know that sct disables invite trees?!
    yes i think they do
    " The Generl" got disabled because of that
    i saw him writing that before

true
    When You Trade You Don't Only Risk Your Account And The Site Security But You Show A Great DisRespects To The Site Staff And Members
    Screw Traders

7. BitTorrent   -   #147
    Actually, after finding out how good I was at reading people's personalities and behaviors I changed my major to psychology. So contrary to your belief, I have 3 and a half years of psychology as of now (semester is ending). My minor is IT, and I plan on getting my masters once I graduate. As I said, you don't know much about me or what I know either. You don't have to live in the same country to understand somebody. Any psychologist knows that the key to understanding anything is through communication. Everything you do involves communication, even reading this post, your eyes are communicating with your brain. Talking to Feeling online, and seeing him act and behave is also communication. You're right I might not know factually that he had a bad childhood because I haven't asked him. But I can say based on what I do know, that the chances are high.
    I actually dont think 3 years studying something at college amounts to considerable experience. You might disagree though. I also think theres only so much you can tell from someone over the internet. Either way I think we should probably just drop this point because it doesnt really matter. I still think that this info doesnt belong here.

How do you know sct doesn't re-enable accounts if you pay them? The thing I like about TL is all the answers are clearly out in the open. There are no uncertainties. When all the answers are on the table, it's hard to say someone was taken advantage of because they knew beforehand the circumstances at hand.
    I dont know that theyve never done it. I do know that if they do then they dont openly advertise it and try to pressure users into donating to get back in.

You don't have to, but they make it difficult enough that you have to resort to it. That's considered taking advantage of both a person, and the situation. You don't have to buy the gas at my gas station, but would you be willing to walk 5 miles to get it elsewhere? Prob not, because the limited supply will cause you to eventually resort to getting it from me. Yes, sct prob hands out free invites, but I bet you it's on a very limited scale. That way, since the demand is so high people are forced to resort to buying them, but sct can say that they don't sell them b/c "some" users have them
    Yes I accept that with the exception of some older members like myself that if you want invites you have to buy them. But you act like people really need invites. You can use the site quite happily without inviting anyone else. Some sites dont hand out any invites at all and nobody complains about that. So I still dont accept that they are taking advantage of anyone.

Same with selling GB. SCT knows that there's high demand to use the tracker. They also know that the larger the userbase, the harder to seed back. They're even smart enough to know that most users don't have an internet connection fast enough to upload in competition with the servers. So they take advantage of the users and the situation and offer GB's for sale knowing that users will either have to not use the site, or purchase the GB. Make sense? That's taking advantage of the users who have crappy internet connections.
    Actually in my experience the larger the site the easier to seed back it is. I accept that its difficult on Sct if you dont have a seed box, especially if you actually leave your house and dont have them time to constantly jump on torrents as soon as they are uploaded. I dont think Sct should be too apologetic about this though as its what leads to them having excellent speeds.

A more positive way to handle that would have been doing something another site did (changing the ratio from 1:1 to 1:2).
    Yeah it would be lovely if they moved to a nice share index/no ratio system where eveyone could get by without fear of being banned for low ratio. However, they arent taking advantage of users by moving to the new system, and heres why... the old system was even harsher!
    If they had moved away from a fairer system to one where users had to pay then Id be with you, but they havent. On the old system those that couldnt keep up got banned, now at least they have a chance if they are willing to buy upload.

There's so much demand and loyalty from some users on SCT, I can guarantee people would have donated willingly without expecting GB or invites in return to keep it up. That should be pretty obvious
    You're probably right. It is possible that enough of these people werent willing to keep donating every month but I accept Sct is almost certainly quite profitable now they are p2l.

I don't speak my mind expecting change to happen. I do speak my mind hoping for change to happen though. There's a phrase that goes a little something like this: "The worst thing you can say, is nothing at all."

Here's the question on my mind. Why can't sct just give out invites normally to every user instead of doing it for donating? Could it be related to the 3979 EUR of 1500 EUR donations currently in their account? Let me rephrase that. Does SCT "need" to sell invites?
    No they dont need to. By selling them they will get more donations which = more money. I agree with you.

Goes along with what I said about limited supply. What better way to get donations then to open 3,000 or so slots with a limited supply of free invites in the population.
    Say it with me. Taking. Advantage.
    TL's goal is to make money which explains why they do what they do. What's sct's goal? If them opening slots on site was to help users and get more people in, why didn't they give an invite to every user for free? Is any of this making sense?
    We seem to be fundamentally in agreement. ScT wants to make money. I just dont agree they are really taking advantage of the users. They are more taking advantage of an opportunity to make money. Maybe we both mean the same thing and are just wording it differently.

/me collapses from too much quoting
    Last edited by Zeus; 11-16-2007 at 12:30 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #148
    Feeling's Avatar SceneTorrents Staff
    Seeing as you are so interested in my childhood, it was a nice one thanks, no problems at all. At least its something different than the "ScT is a money machine" rant that happens to appear in anything concerning ScT on here.

We at sct have gone into depth about where the money goes on ScT, which is more than anysite has done just to show the users what we do for them.

Tbh, what we at sct do is none of your buisness actually, if you put the amount of effort you do in trying to bash sct and its staff and a certain female member as you do into your own site, you might have a good site one day.

Just give up on your stupid rants, like zeus said, no one really cares about it, you dont even care, but its the only thing you can do to make ScT look bad in peoples eyes.

Oh this line made me lol again with the way you worded it.
    "They're even smart enough to know that most users don't have an internet connection fast enough to upload in competition with the servers"

Most users? You do know ScT has 50% Seed boxes and 40% Swe 100mb home lines, that leaves 10%, yea thats most users brandon. Your college education coming into play there.

Not really gonna comment on the kimii thing, yea shes a smart girl, thats why she stop talking to you bud, nothing to do with me.

As for the rest about not giving invites away and gigs when ppl donate, that's for us sct staff to decide, yes we have talked about it on staff and things may change in the future but at the mo its staying like it is, it allows us yo provide more content for sct and faster ( not like things could get any faster ) downloads. Win Win for the users esp the 15,500 that haven't donated, so 1,500 users have kept the site alive over the past 2 and a 1/4 years... that's not bad tbh. As some one said, we don't make you pay to be on sct, as long as u seed and ain't a retard you account is fine, if you wanna donate to help sct that's personal choice, thats what you ain't getting B.

Anyhow, my last post here, as the user in question has been dealt with.

Im sure B will go on to post his well worded crap, and im sure he will wow over the FST troops.

/ Fee

9. BitTorrent   -   #149
    Dupe...
    Last edited by Feeling; 11-16-2007 at 12:26 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #150
    Dupe...
    Last edited by Feeling; 11-16-2007 at 12:26 PM.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast