Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: winrar

no big differences winrar and winzip i use winrar

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    there are some more powerfull compression methods but they are not usable for everyday work as they are way too slow.

there is no way 3gb of data can be compressed to 250k. there were some files floating around packed like this with special compressors but they were all damaged altho they would show as being uncompressed properly.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Ime 7zip is the best.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    HMthePM's Avatar woweee BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
    there is no way 3gb of data can be compressed to 250k. there were some files floating around packed like this with special compressors but they were all damaged altho they would show as being uncompressed properly.
    If you guys dont believe it, check this out.
    http://www.4shared.com/file/30192089.../NEO_MINI.html
    This iso is not installable, you have to mount it to play. The original setup is different and is not compressed. But I dont have the setup files.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    One thing i have noticed i used to be able to rar photos with winrar and compress them to an 8th of the original size the more recent versions don't have this abbility Does anyone know why? or which version i should go back to be able to do this again ?
    Last edited by sleepyy; 11-23-2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by HMthePM View Post
    If you guys dont believe it, check this out.
    http://www.4shared.com/file/30192089.../NEO_MINI.html
    This iso is not installable, you have to mount it to play. The original setup is different and is not compressed. But I dont have the setup files.
    exactly what i was talking about. it's nothing but a big corrupted image file. you can't play that

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyy View Post
    One thing i have noticed i used to be able to rar photos with winrar and compress them to an 8th of the original size the more recent versions don't have this abbility Does anyone know why? or which version i should go back to be able to do this again ?
    winrar had multimedia option in older versions, now it should auto recognize file types. you can't compress compressed images (jpg) that much tho, i bet you compressed bmp or raw straight from your camera.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
    exactly what i was talking about. it's nothing but a big corrupted image file. you can't play that

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyy View Post
    winrar had multimedia option in older versions, now it should auto recognize file types. you can't compress compressed images (jpg) that much tho, i bet you compressed bmp or raw straight from your camera.

Yes you were right after i tryed it i have been wondering why for a while now i never thought to ask untill i saw this thread i managed to compress the file by 2 over 3 which is quite good jpeg however done nothing as it is allready compressed as i just read

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Magnum's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I like winrar and i use it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I use winrar. 7zip WILL give better compression, but it takes much longer to compress and extract than rar archives. imo it's not worth it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Use winrar and 7zip.
    HT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast