Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another EliteTorrents Uploader Facing 10 Years in Prison

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "The fallout from the FBI raid on EliteTorrents in 2005 continues, with a seventh defendant associated with the uploading of Star Wars Episode III facing the prospect of 10 years in prison coupled with a $500,000 fine."

"Every few months it seems the FBI manages to come up with yet more people to charge in connection with Operation D-Elite - the joint ICE and FBI raids against the US-based BitTorrent tracker, EliteTorrents, in 2005. Everyone charged so far has been accused of being involved in the uploading of Star Wars Episode III which, at the time, was a pre-release movie, carrying criminal implications for the uploaders under the Family Entertainment Copyright Act.

According to an announcement by Assistant Attorney General Alice S. Fisher of the Criminal Division and U.S. Attorney Patrick L. Meehan for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, a seventh defendant has pleaded guilty. An Duc Do, aged 25, of Orlando, Florida, has pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Legrome D. Davis of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania on a two-count felony. He’s charged with conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement and criminal copyright infringement.

Do is the latest in a line of people pleading guilty in this operation against EliteTorrents. Previous guilty pleas and convictions include those of Scott McCausland, Grant Stanley, Sam Kuonen and Scott D. Harvanek. In this copyright case tried in the criminal (rather than civil) legal domain, potential punishments are harsh. Do is facing up to 10 years in prison coupled with a fine of $500,000. He will be sentenced on February 27th, 2008."

Source: TorrentFreak
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Living on the edge BT Rep: +4
    thats a very bad news but i hope that he doesn't get imprisoned for 10 long years

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Do ALL murderers get 10 years or more, or do some get less than 10 years?

I like the way that the FBI is dribbling out the charges, so that it can keep D-Elite on the tops of everyone's tongues. I do find it amazing that all charges were not brought within the first six months to a year, but it has become obvious that they want the high profile to convince the rest of us to STOP doing it.

Of course, handing out a 10 year sentence for what is essentially simple theft is disgusting. If someone was to break into my house and steal my furniture, I would be lucky if the police even bothered to take an interest, yet steal from an organisation and not only do the police take a serious interest, but the penalty is way out of proportion to the crime committed.

My opening statement says it all. While some do wait on Death Row, there are many people convicted of murder who do not serve sentences in relation to the crime they have committed. Can anyone actually say that stealing someone else's work is a more heinous crime than stealing someone else's life?

So, once the person has paid the price with 10 years of no liberty, they still owe $500,000 (probably with interest as well). Do the victims of other crimes get compensated as such. Do the loved ones of someone who was murdered (or burgled) get a serious payout?

The whole issue smacks of something that has gone seriously wrong. Everything to do with this scenario has been blown way out of proportion. I have never seen any other sort of transgression being pursued so vigilantly as prosecuting filesharers, and that includes acts of terrorism (in fact, after the Bin Laden episode with the Twin Towers, the US Government were actually ushering members of the Bin Laden family out of the US, rather than following a natural line of enquiry).

Makes you wonder what is next? When will the first file sharer be sentenced to Death Row?

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    Do ALL murderers get 10 years or more, or do some get less than 10 years?

I like the way that the FBI is dribbling out the charges, so that it can keep D-Elite on the tops of everyone's tongues. I do find it amazing that all charges were not brought within the first six months to a year, but it has become obvious that they want the high profile to convince the rest of us to STOP doing it.

Of course, handing out a 10 year sentence for what is essentially simple theft is disgusting. If someone was to break into my house and steal my furniture, I would be lucky if the police even bothered to take an interest, yet steal from an organisation and not only do the police take a serious interest, but the penalty is way out of proportion to the crime committed.

My opening statement says it all. While some do wait on Death Row, there are many people convicted of murder who do not serve sentences in relation to the crime they have committed. Can anyone actually say that stealing someone else's work is a more heinous crime than stealing someone else's life?

So, once the person has paid the price with 10 years of no liberty, they still owe $500,000 (probably with interest as well). Do the victims of other crimes get compensated as such. Do the loved ones of someone who was murdered (or burgled) get a serious payout?

The whole issue smacks of something that has gone seriously wrong. Everything to do with this scenario has been blown way out of proportion. I have never seen any other sort of transgression being pursued so vigilantly as prosecuting filesharers, and that includes acts of terrorism (in fact, after the Bin Laden episode with the Twin Towers, the US Government were actually ushering members of the Bin Laden family out of the US, rather than following a natural line of enquiry).

Makes you wonder what is next? When will the first file sharer be sentenced to Death Row?
    ^^
    well said

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    DyNast's Avatar What's My Age Again? BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    They are crazy
    Ruin someone's life for uploading star wars...
    Somebody should do something about that, that's not moral and of course not reasonable
    :\...

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Like the man said (or Fox ) it's disproportionate.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS
    He should be thankful that sentencing doesn't correlate on the quality of the movie. Imagine if he would of uploaded The Great Escape he'd be looking at 500 years.

And essentially shouldn't the crime fit the punishment.
    Last edited by WHiKWiRE; 11-18-2007 at 02:23 AM.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    I don't think that person will get 10yrs in prison. It's more like scaring the hell out of him or it looks very scary on paper.
    I just saw in the news that barry bonds was convicted of perjury and he may get 30yrs in prison. Yea that's going to ever happen. But I hope everything goes well for him
    Star trek the movie around fall of 2008. Don't be afraid, watch and you will be sucked in like a vacuum.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    The feds have certain sentencing guidelines they must abide. It's a point system with various criteria that will determine your incarceration period. Learned alot about the Fed system from a friend who was a big drug dealer. Never could catch him with the narcotics, but eventually he did 5 years for conspiracy.

With a 96% conviction rating, everyone pretty much pleads guilty. And you MUST do 80% of the time in the Fed system now.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    How do people know it's disproportionate if they don't know how much profit he made from the crime.

If it's anything like the UK he can get up to 50% off that for an early guilty plea, why else would anyone plead guilty other than to get a reduced sentence. The Judge will then take other mitigation into consideration so he may get about 4 years.

I don't know about this 80% rule (in the UK it's up to 50% for good behaviour). However if it's only 20% in the USA then he will serve about 3.5 years.

Again if it were in the UK he would serve the vast bulk of that in a low security prison, as he is no real threat to anyone. No risk of violence etc. Once someone is established in one of these places they can do things like go to College, unaccompanied. They can do supervised work outside of the prison. Near the end of their time they can go home for the weekend, that type of thing.

Let's get some perspective here. A possible 10 years (no way) for this type of crime is not the same as being put in a high security prison for murder.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast