Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File size

Hi all!
    Great forum, glad I found it!
    I just started with newsgroups recently so I am quite a noob. Ive worked out about NZB files and all, however the only issue Im having is that I dont know how to determine how big a file is before I download it.
    Problem is, where I live we have caps on our internet, ie you can only download x gb per month. Yea I know lame. So from my perspective it would be really cool to know how big a file/files were before I download them.

Is this possible?

Thanks for your help!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    Absolutely.

If you are using FST:
    http://i19.tinypic.com/8c3pz4k.jpg

Newzleech :
    http://i15.tinypic.com/6ozx3pz.jpg

Binsearch :
    http://i17.tinypic.com/8e1i836.jpg

And if you are browsing headers you have downloaded VIA your NewsReader it is possible as well. I am not sure which reader you are using but most allow this as well.

EDIT:
    Also take into account that most of them will be a bit smaller as they include PAR files into the size, but if your newsreader supports pausing them (PAR files) it is a good idea to do that as they are usually not needed if you are using a good usenet provider. and even if they are chances are you only need a portion of them. So pausing them and only downloading the amount needed to repair a file set will save you bandwidth as well
    Last edited by rippinitup4fun; 11-18-2007 at 03:44 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    get a paid subscription like giganews caps are for the no0bs. caped.....lol

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Switching to Giganews would not fix anything. It's a cap on his Internet, not his Usenet provider.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by dasheeki View Post
    Switching to Giganews would not fix anything. It's a cap on his Internet, not his Usenet provider.
    thats some bull get a diferent provider there is no such dl cap

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I wish, but as I said I dont have that option in Australia. All have Internet quota caps

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hatman24 View Post
    I wish, but as I said I dont have that option in Australia. All have Internet quota caps
    Just out of curiosity: How many GB are you allowed to download each month?

When I lived in Sweden there was a couple of providers that had 50GB etc. Never had anything like that in Norway. They didn't even allow me to pay more to get more.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post

When I lived in Sweden there was a couple of providers that had 50GB etc. Never had anything like that in Norway. They didn't even allow me to pay more to get more.
    Well it depends on how much your willing to pay really.

Say $60-70 will get you around 20gb on peak and 20gb off peak (night time) on cable (not as good as US cable btw)

ADSL is around the same give or take.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster

Say $60-70 will get you around 20gb on peak and 20gb off peak (night time) on cable (not as good as US cable btw)

Never going to move there then, even though you got kangaroos

10. Newsgroups   -   #10

Never going to move there then, even though you got kangaroos
    New government got in this weekend with a $4billion internet promise. Maybe a change I hope haha.

Thanks for the help everyone, this forum is great! Im starting to wrap my head around things.

Actually seeing as this thread is open and no point starting a new one....

Ive had this come up a couple of times now. Lets take http://www.tvnzb.com/nzb/4985 - Arrested.Development.S03.DVDRIP.XviD-TOPAZ-REPACK
    Now I download this (btw im using the program Alt.Binz which seems fine for everything else) It downloads the files, however each rar file is really small (not expected size) there are no Pars and I cant extract anything from the rars (throws an error). Am I doing something wrong. This also happened on another movie and another season of something I was trying to get. All occasions I was getting NZB files from different websites.

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast