Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm A 56k Ntl User

Forum Star
    i use the uk ntl 150k service, i was on dialup with bt d/l'ing at about 4-5kb/s - now with good sources i can expect between 14-15k

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    might as well go for it what have u got 2 lose, well a lot if u get caught sharing, only kidding, u should most Definitely get Broadband

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    I would go for the 600k service, because you don't have to pay the installation fee.
    I think you can downgrade after a month and save the £25 fee.
    That is what I intended to do, but after a month of 600k there was no way I could go down to 150k.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    once you have broadband installed, you are in a 12 month contract, which i think can only be broken if you move home to a new area that DOESN'T have NTL available.

I went from 56k to 128k (it's only went to 150k recently - used to be £15 for 128k) and stuck with it a while, said i was going to go to 600k for one month, and ended up keeping it.

Once you have broadband you can change each month, you could go from 150k to the 1MB service, then the next month go down to 600k or 150k then the next month go back up again or whatever. You can upgrade the speed from the website with just a few clicks, but you have to phone them up to downgrade, and you need to make sure you phone up in time so that it's changed over before the next billing month.

Someone said 150k is just double 56k, but it's far closer to 3 times as fast, because i've yet to see someone connect on dial-up at over 51,600 kbps. It's a huge improvement on dial-up, but after a month you'll feel it's getting slow again and will be looking for that extra little bit of speed.

£18 for 150k, £25 for 600k. I'd go for 600k, works out at something like 22p a day extra, and it's worth it.

Hope that helps.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I have the 150K NTL service. It is quite good, because I can usually get about 17 or 18kb/s on a good download.
    Round my Dad's place he still has 56K, and his download time rarely reaches above 4kb/s !!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    dont bother with the 150 or 650, im an ntl user and use the 1mbps and ita alot faster, the 150 n 650 looses connection 2 much

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    hypoluxa3k
    wasn't there a big problem, users complained when NTL decided to limit downloads?
    what happened about that?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    I think he was talking pounds Spindulik, not Euros.
    Anyway, in Belgium, we get 3.3 Mbs down, and 128Kb up for about €40/month, and even that doesn't seem fast enough sometimes. 
    holy crap! i pay around £30 for 512 down

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    hypoluxa3k
    so can you ntl users still download movies?
    not be planning to, maybe a film now and again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12