Thread: New Processor what do you guys think?

UntamedDarknes's Avatar Poster
    Well it time to upgrade my single core p4 3.6 to this is this a good price and a good processor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115028

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Sure the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz is good and deff an upgrade but I too have been looking to upgrade in this thread and other places. I looked at that CPU but I decided ( I think ) to go with Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
    Alot of people said the prices will drop fairly soon. I wonder which processor is "Better". Honestly we will have to wait for replies from guys like clocker, kaiweiler, mr. nails
    and others they know more than me.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    if u wanna play games then the 6850 is the way to go. if u wanna do lots of video editing, HD rendering and other types of software related things u mite wanna consider the Q6600. also, if u plan on doing mad multiple tasking u can't go wrong with the Q6600. by 2009 everyone will be quad core anyhow, so... u make the call.

in short:

e6850 = play todays games

q6600 = future proof.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post

q6600 = future proof.
    T'aint no such thing as "future proof".
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    UD what MoBo do you have? System specs? And Clocker is right there is no future proof because 5hit just keeps getting better and better and who knows what they will have in 2009 prob an Octo-Core or a CPU running cool @5 or 6 Ghz

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Charles Lindbergh's Avatar one of the good guys BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post

q6600 = future proof.
    Hi clocker !

I think that he just didn't express how he wanted. I think he tried to say that Q6600 is CPU for long time usage from now, for that people who wont to upgrade every 6 months.

I'm suggesting to buy Q6600 with GO stepping* because they heat lower than others and also clock capabilities are better.

-GO stepping : take look at back of your CPU pack and look at the code, if it's ends with *****SLACR that's OK.

Regards !!!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 100mbit View Post
    Hi clocker !

I think that he just didn't express how he wanted. I think he tried to say that Q6600 is CPU for long time usage from now, for that people who wont to upgrade every 6 months.

Hello.

Well, nobody wants to upgrade every six months and I can't envision a scenario where that would be necessary anyway.

It would be helpful if the OP stated why his P4 was no longer cutting the mustard.
    Besides being a bit long in the tooth, the P4 is still a quite capable CPU depending on what one wants/needs it do.

Naturally, all the manufacturers want you to feel pressured to upgrade and that new CPU smell is undeniably very seductive but consider the "CPU upgrade" that UD is considering...

...Assuming that his P4 is sLGA775, will his current motherboard even support a quad-core chip?
    ...If not- and I'd say that's likely the case- now it's not just a chip swap but motherboard and RAM as well.
    ...What about the drives? If they're still IDE then they become the weak link.
    ...Typically, folks are also planning on a new graphics card as well (if not immediately, then in the relatively near future) so does the power supply scale to the new requirements?

Now it's apparent that what started as a CPU upgrade has in fact turned into a whole new computer.

If that's what you want, then fine but let's be upfront about it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I think we may have lost him too.

As I am thinking more and more about my new build I am seeing how much I have/want to upgrade. Unfortunatly I am a new CPU smell Whore and I love to upgrade sometimes just to see the difference. I do think the next build will be the last for some time. Thats why the new MoBo , CPU and Ram. I have a very good psu, but now as Clocker pointed out I need to think about a new GFX card as well. I know next to nothing about them so I have some research to do for sure.
    Last edited by Detale; 11-19-2007 at 04:51 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    I think we may have lost him too.
    His P4 probably died.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Now it's apparent that what started as a CPU upgrade has in fact turned into a whole new computer.
    Always the case. The rate at which technology moves today is astronomical, and your graphics card or ram from a mere few months ago is no longer even thought of.
    It is pretty rare that somebody can upgrade just one component of their computer with all the new formats such as PCI-E and DDR2.
    Humbling really...