Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to have a new screen, can you have a look? I've some questions :)

DyNast's Avatar What's My Age Again? BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Hi @all
    I wanna get a new screen for my computer
    I'm going to use it most of all for video (movies etc...) and of course surfing the net
    Maybe some games... anyway, here is what I have in mind:
    Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
    A wide screen LCD (16x9), 2ms, 22", 1680x1050 max res...
    Here it gonna cost about 420USD~

it's the best I can get for a reasonable price... and I found some good comments about this screen

The problem is that:
    My friend has the same screen, and when I watched some movies he had at the time @his computer (DVDRips) the quality was not really good cause the resolution of the movies is not that high, dvdrips, and they are probably better watched at 4:3 (this is the native, or closed to, resolution of dvdrips, right?)

Now, I can't watch 720p\x264 or any other high resolution movies @my computer for the simple reason my computer is not strong enough
    By the way, if I have this kind of movie (720p for example), it would be shown nicely on a wide screen like that? or it's better watched on 4:3?
    I believe my brother's computer may handle movies like that, but I can't use his computer all the time and move the screen from one computer to another, right?

HD tvshows (I don't think there are that many HD movies out there, no?) would be shown nicely in that screen (my computer can handle HD, it's not that crappy )

damn, I don't know what to do! lol

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    amirji's Avatar One HiTTa QuiTa BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    What kind of video card do you have? on your comp
    "F*** the B**** A** Haters"

"You Know Who You Are, Punks"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    GeForce FX 5600
    Pentium 4 2.4GHZ
    512 DDR

Pretty lame...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    amirji's Avatar One HiTTa QuiTa BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    You will need a HD compatible card for a high quality display.

Anybody correct me if I am wrong.
    "F*** the B**** A** Haters"

"You Know Who You Are, Punks"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    LoKaLiRi's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    GeForce 8500 GT
    Pentium 4 3.2GHZ
    2048 DDR

Good For ME

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Flicker View Post
    GeForce 8500 GT
    Pentium 4 3.2GHZ
    2048 DDR

Good For ME
    So... you are planing to give it to me or you just want us to know how you computer is like?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Charles Lindbergh's Avatar one of the good guys BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Hi DyNast !

I don't make much differences. 4:3 or WS, It's only in "beauty of viewer"
    I'll tell you my story because I'm buying new display.
    I think that 19" will fit because on anything higher I can't control my actions on screen. I'll buy this one
    Samsung 961BF have anything that I need, with extra 2ms and 1280x1024 px resolution. I really don't like WS display and this is good solution for me.
    Of course, new GFX is "must have". I will buy new GeForce 8800 GT.

I hope that this and other comments helped.

Regards !!!
    Last edited by Charles Lindbergh; 11-20-2007 at 06:31 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i'm sure ur fx 5600 will do the trick for ur 22' samsung, but @ the same time it will not play 720p videos. u WILL need to upgrade ur videocard. which version of the 5600 do u have? i think urs does 2048x1536 resolution (u mite wanna check). also, don't plan on playing ur games @ it's native rez either. ain't gonna happen. fyi: don't sit so close to teh screen when watching movies and they won't look so pixelated. i have a 24' WS and it took me a min to get used to 1900 rez.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Thanks for helping, amirji and 100mbit, but I still don't know what to do

New GFX is a most have? well, I can't afford a new one (specially when my processor, memory and everything are still old, and the GFX would be a waste on my computer)...
    that's a problem... I wrote what I need the screen for, you think your screen would be good for my needs?
    It seems good...

Too bad I can't work anything (games, movies etc...) with the high resolutions both the WD and your screen are best with

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Although I have no brand specific recommendations for you I will share this...

I detest widescreen monitors.
    Sure, they're perfect for watching movies but for regular PC use they suck.
    The way that text and windows get warped to fit the weird resolution just makes me queasy.

Far better to let your TV handle movie playback, IMO and let the monitor do it's job properly with regular computer graphics.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast