Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Uk Intelligence.

Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@25 July 2003 - 15:11
    That is a little bit of a generalisation 

They DO have a friendly side...

I taotally agree and I have said that many times over the last weeks.

America has been a great friend of the U.K. in the past but the present administration gives me cause for concern.

Also you cannot fully blame a people for it's leaders and no country is all bad.

Neil.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #92
    EDIT: Ignore this i'm talking crap

I'm not disagreeing completely, but i think an important thing to note is that turkey said no, not because they disagreed with the war, but because they wanted more money from the americans.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #93
    Originally posted by ilw@25 July 2003 - 15:20
    turkey said no, not because they disagreed with the war, but because they wanted more money from the americans.
    on what authority do you make such a claim?!

4. The Drawing Room   -   #94
    Sorry I think i got mixed up (I was talking about allowing US troops to have a second frontier in N Iraq) and also jumped to the wrong conclusion, I remembered reading articles with the sort of content of:

The economic crisis was very much on the mind of Turkish negotiators when they came to Washington in February.

The Turks wants to stop Iraqi Kurds moving towards independence
    The then Turkish Foreign Minister Yasir Yakis reportedly demanded $92bn over four years in aid in return for Turkey's support in the crisis - 20 times the $4bn the Bush administration was said to have offered.

The Turks also demanded written guarantees that Congress would pass any aid deal agreed with the president.

Eventually, after late-night negotiations with Mr Powell, the Turks won a larger package - reportedly $6bn in aid plus loans - and President Bush told the Turks they were "great negotiators".

But the public spectacle in the US press, which accused them of "haggling like carpet salesman", embarrassed Turkey.
    (source bbc news website)

And I drew the wrong conclusions. Turkey were against the war & I apologise.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #95
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@25 July 2003 - 14:20
    But Americans don't want to spend money on social spending to try to alleviate systemic poverty...they want to award contracts to defence firms for infra-red cameras on city police choppers, etc
    i'd like to retract that statement, and replaced with the much more nuanced and accurate sentence:

imho, Americans are too likely to pass on more social spending to try to alleviate systemic poverty, in preference for awarding contracts to defence firms for infra-red cameras on city police choppers, etc

6. The Drawing Room   -   #96
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Neil__@25 July 2003 - 07:34

America doesn't want help they want to be the rule makers for all of us.

What a horrible place this planet would be if everything was Americanised.

I hate the idea happening here in the U.K.
    The bit we have already makes me uneasy.
    Imposing that way of life on other culture is extremely threatening and dangerous to world order.

America just want's to assymilate other cultures so it can exploit them.

There not interested in world peace all they want is new markets.

Neil
    Baloney.

Any Americanization that may have occured in Britain was not forced on you, rather it was embraced by yourselves alone.
    If you didn't like McDonalds, the stores would have failed.
    If you didn't watch Friends advertisers wouldn't buy airtime and the show would be off the air.
    Etc,etc.
    Apparently capitalism works differently in the UK.
    Your companies aren't interested in expanding their markets?
    Let us know how that works out for you.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. The Drawing Room   -   #97
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@25 July 2003 - 11:20

imho, Americans are too likely to pass on more social spending to try to alleviate systemic poverty, in preference for awarding contracts to defence firms for infra-red cameras on city police choppers, etc
    Bull.
    England leads all other countries in the use of video surveillance in an urban environment.*

*Source
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. The Drawing Room   -   #98
    Originally posted by clocker+25 July 2003 - 19:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 25 July 2003 - 19:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-myfiles3000@25 July 2003 - 11:20

Bull.
    England leads all other countries in the use of video surveillance in an urban environment.*

*Source [/b][/quote]
    sorry to burst your bubble clocker, but logic dictates that your statement has no direct bearing on mine. it definitely doesn&#39;t refute my nuanced observation. i can supply examples of analogous statements for clarification if you like.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #99
    Poster
    In the current world situation the USA appears to be in a damned if you do, damned if you don&#39;t situation.

If they overthrow a tyrant they are accused of war-mongering.

If they don&#39;t overthrow a tyrant they are accused of being insensitive and not caring about the rest of the world.

What&#39;s a super power to do.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #100
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by clocker+25 July 2003 - 18:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 25 July 2003 - 18:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-myfiles3000@25 July 2003 - 11:20

Bull.

*Source [/b][/quote]
    I agree Clocker United Kingdom leads on this one.

The local councils install &#39;em (often at the Residents request) on Housing Estates where there are known problems.

Business&#39; contribute to Installing them in Shopping Centres, and the Police put them up anyway in some City Centres (especially close to the Night Life areas).

In both cases, there is a dramatic drop in Crime in the areas where the CCTV has been installed.

You may not be surprised that the problem simply moves to the next estate along in the case of Housing Estates....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast