Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Uk Intelligence.

Poster
    Originally posted by nigel123@24 July 2003 - 14:52
    In any case I presume that USA are not going to attack Saudia Arabia.
    Even Bush isn't that insane.

Would be interesting to see how he tried to sell the lies that pretend to justify it,

Neil

2. The Drawing Room   -   #82
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@24 July 2003 - 07:33

judging by the article below, the long-term plans of the us are to employ ever-more technological solutions to avoid things like compromise, consensus and cooperation in an interdependant world. in this case, hypersonic aircraft will allow the US to take all its marbles home and not have to depend on foreign-soil airbases.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how you get from point A to point B in this sentence, Myfiles.
    Our dependence on foreign soil military bases has been a sore point for decades.
    It would seem to me that anything that reduces the US military presence in unstable parts of the world would be a good thing.
    For example, the US has long been forced to cozy up to a grotesquely corrupt and repressive ruling cabal in Saudi Arabia because of the strategic importance of the airfields they allow us to maintain there. As described in your linked article, hypersonic aircraft would make such compromises unnecessary and perhaps free us to exert more political pressure on the Sauds.
    Would this be a bad thing?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #83
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by clocker+25 July 2003 - 00:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 25 July 2003 - 00:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-myfiles3000@24 July 2003 - 07:33

judging by the article below, the long-term plans of the us are to employ ever-more technological solutions to avoid things like compromise, consensus and cooperation in an interdependant world. in this case, hypersonic aircraft will allow the US to take all its marbles home and not have to depend on foreign-soil airbases.

I&#39;m sorry, but I don&#39;t see how you get from point A to point B in this sentence, Myfiles.
    Our dependence on foreign soil military bases has been a sore point for decades.
    It would seem to me that anything that reduces the US military presence in unstable parts of the world would be a good thing.
    For example, the US has long been forced to cozy up to a grotesquely corrupt and repressive ruling cabal in Saudi Arabia because of the strategic importance of the airfields they allow us to maintain there. As described in your linked article, hypersonic aircraft would make such compromises unnecessary and perhaps free us to exert more political pressure on the Sauds.
    Would this be a bad thing? [/b][/quote]
    Or, just for once, you could keep your noses at home, unblock your ears and listen to what the rest of the world thinks about your interference.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #84
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by lynx@24 July 2003 - 18:32

Or, just for once, you could keep your noses at home, unblock your ears and listen to what the rest of the world thinks about your interference.
    Well yes, I suppose that would be an option, also.

I am, more and more, in agreement with the famous philosopher Eric Cartman-"Screw you guys, I&#39;m going home&#33;"

I&#39;d like nothing more than to concentrate our resources on fixing up the old homestead.

* A reference that I hope went flying miles over your head lynx, as South Park represents the juggernaut of American cultural imperialism at it&#39;s very worst (but funniest).
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #85
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by clocker+25 July 2003 - 02:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 25 July 2003 - 02:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@24 July 2003 - 18:32

Well yes, I suppose that would be an option, also.

I am, more and more, in agreement with the famous philosopher Eric Cartman-"Screw you guys, I&#39;m going home&#33;"

I&#39;d like nothing more than to concentrate our resources on fixing up the old homestead.

* A reference that I hope went flying miles over your head lynx, as South Park represents the juggernaut of American cultural imperialism at it&#39;s very worst (but funniest). [/b][/quote]
    Ah, South Park, the story of US &#39;friendly fire&#39;.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #86
    I always liked
    "They&#39;re coming right for us"

7. The Drawing Room   -   #87
    lynx's Avatar .
    I was thinking more along the lines of &#39;They killed Kenny&#39;.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #88
    Originally posted by clocker+25 July 2003 - 00:26--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 25 July 2003 - 00:26)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-myfiles3000@24 July 2003 - 07:33

I&#39;m sorry, but I don&#39;t see how you get from point A to point B in this sentence, Myfiles. [/b][/quote]
    i think Turkey is great example -- the US insists on taking action most of the rest of the world isn&#39;t comfortable with and this doesn&#39;t deter them. Instead of approaching it from a "Why did so much of the world refuse to provide support? What did we do that alienated them? How can we change our foreign policy to build more consensus in the future?", the USA just builds supersonic jet planes so they don&#39;t need cooperation from the rest of the world.

I think the "Hypersonic Cruise Vehicle" is symptomatic of US mentality. They don&#39;t see human or relational solutions, they see technological ones. I find it mildly distressing, frankly.

EDIT:

To clarify, the turkey reference was their refusal to allow the US to launch the air campaign on Iraq, which really compromised the war plan.

This phenomenon is also seen in those moronic cop chase shows, which often showcase some new, expensive technology to help catch the bad guys. Its at moments like this that I really start to believe that certain (non-white) neighbourhoods are living under something that resembles a police state. The problem is, since so much of American empire, politics and trade is rooted in the defence industry the solution is seen in war-like terms. Anyone with a first-year crim class under their belt can tell you that poverty in particular is highly correlated with crime. But Americans don&#39;t want to spend money on social spending to try to alleviate systemic poverty...they want to award contracts to defence firms for infra-red cameras on city police choppers, etc

9. The Drawing Room   -   #89
    Poster
    Originally posted by myfiles3000+25 July 2003 - 14:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (myfiles3000 @ 25 July 2003 - 14:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by clocker@25 July 2003 - 00:26
    <!--QuoteBegin-myfiles3000
    @24 July 2003 - 07:33

I&#39;m sorry, but I don&#39;t see how you get from point A to point B in this sentence, Myfiles.
    i think Turkey is great example -- the US insists on taking action most of the rest of the world isn&#39;t comfortable with and this doesn&#39;t deter them. Instead of approaching it from a "Why did so much of the world refuse to provide support? What did we do that alienated them? How can we change our foreign policy to build more consensus in the future?", the USA just builds supersonic jet planes so they don&#39;t need cooperation from the rest of the world.

I think the "Hypersonic Cruise Vehicle" is symptomatic of US mentality. They don&#39;t see human or relational solutions, they see technological ones. I find it mildly distressing, frankly. [/b][/quote]
    I thi9nk you hit the nail myfiles.

America doesn&#39;t want help they want to be the rule makers for all of us.

What a horrible place this planet would be if everything was Americanised.

I hate the idea happening here in the U.K.
    The bit we have already makes me uneasy.
    Imposing that way of life on other culture is extremely threatening and dangerous to world order.

If countries want to join us in capitalism that&#39;s their choice but what about the fantastic diversity that make us such an interesting species.

America just want&#39;s to assymilate other cultures so it can exploit them.

There not interested in world peace all they want is new markets.

Neil

10. The Drawing Room   -   #90
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    That is a little bit of a generalisation

They DO have a friendly side...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast