Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Do You Need?

Poster
    I have a question.

How much of a copywrited file must you have for it to be illegal.
    I mean if you only have half of it is it considered copywrtitten? or what about if you only have 2 seconds of it. at what point do they say it is or its not?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Thats subjective.

However consider:

Some bands get taken to court because a few bars off their record is from another tune...and thats considered breach of copyright, or even sounds similar but the notes arent the same..

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    How can they do that?!?
    thats bulshite....all new pop songs are just old tunes with a modern spin on them anyways.
    at this rate in 50 years every possible sound will have a fat C stamped on it.

how can u copywrite three notes or a single sound?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    So true.

But not Bullshit... I said a few Bars, not a few notes...a recognisable segment.

Bands are normally careful to get permission when they make a cover version. Its the others that get caught, ones that are not intentionally ripping any other tune off.

eg:
    Sweet Lord by George Harrison was No1 all over the world in the early '70s.

It was decided it sounded too much like another (unknown) tune and on the initial release actually lost money, due to court costs and compensation payments to the guy who wrote the "copyrighted" tune.

This was not George Harrison ( a very gifted songwriter (RIP)) trying to rip anyone off, it was an honest mistake.

How many times have you found yourself humming a tune that you have no idea where you heard it?

Now place yourself in the shoes of a songwriter? Was it yours or did you hear that little bit of melody somewhere?

Maybe this is why most modern music is either cover versions of something else or sound remarkably similar...with shared roots where they know where to go for permission.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    very good point.

This is why I think Copywrite laws on art will fail in the future after P2P takes the world over and the RIAA is destroyed.

Copywrite was made to protect the designer of a product, a machine, or invention.
    Copywrite in my opinion was not intended to be used on ART such as music or pictures or movies. It was applied to art after art started to make large amounts of money as an entertainment. it seems that artist in america (at least the ones that are famouse) no longer make art as an expression of themselves to the world but are just good looking puppets of the RIAA and Holywood created to bring in revenue.

if you look in the world history, ARTIST have never been rich, artist are known as people who struggle in life and work hard to express themselves through different mediums, yet in our modern day artist are the best of use, they are the richest and most famouse of all. they make more money than doctors and get more attention the the president.

WHAT UP WITH THAT

6. File Sharing   -   #6

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    WTF?
    This is messed up.

I think artists should be honored and feel proud if someone should be inspired by their work

True artist wouldnt care.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Skillian

Um, that article about Metallica is a hoax.

Look at the URL of the story.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster

that one fooled me.
    Even the links to the other sources are links to their own site

lame

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Serus@20 July 2003 - 21:31
    Copywrite was made to protect the designer of a product, a machine, or invention.
    Copywrite in my opinion was not intended to be used on ART such as music or pictures or movies.
    Music and movies are a product.
    We say it every day:
    The music industry
    The movie industry
    However, I believe copyrights on music only last 100 years or so, so you can use Beethovens th as much as you like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast