Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bittorrent Jerk

Poster
    So you wouldn't mind me using it then, so long as I leave uploads to max and continue seeding when finished. Though you would discourage it's becoming more widespread.

Other views would be appreciated. Or more from my seeker of truth friend (there are more things in heaven and earth Horatio, than are dreampt of in your philosophy) obviously.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    The way i see it:

Using this client slows everyones downloads in a much more appreciable way than on a normal p2p app. This is because torrents (especially the less wanted) are usually only around for a short time and during that time the total download speed is equal ot the total upload speed, every user not uploading has a very obvoius impact on the download rate.
    Essentially because of the short release time, if a significant no. of people are using this app (say 10-20%) then all the early downloads will be significantly slower, even if people upload once their download has finished or later on, then this is of less value because there are usually much fewer people wanting the file (tho they will admittedly get it much more quickly)
    Basically u end up hurting hte many and giving to the few (and chances are that if a lot of people use this app they will not give as much bandwidth as they have taken as there aren't enough people downloading near the end of a torrents life)

I fully admit this would be less ofa problem with the more wanted files/releases as there are always lots of people who arrive late and still want a piece

Minor edit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12