Thread: Dvd-r, Dvd-rw, Dvd+r, Dvd+rw?

harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Are you in a dilemma about what DVD recorder to buy?

Here's an excellent article about testing the playback compatibility of different recordable DVD formats.

It's 7 pages long but a very good read for those so inclined.

Share on...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    chalkmongoose
    Or you could read this, from http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd:

DVD-R and DVD-RW
    DVD-R/W was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
    DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 90% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 73% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-R/W supports single side 4.7 GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 9.4 GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by DVDForum.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
    DVD+R/W has some better features than DVD-R/W such as lossless linking and both CAV and CLV writing.
    DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 85% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 73% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+R/W supports single side 4.7 GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 9.4 GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.

DVD-RAM
    DVD-RAM has the best recording features but it is not compatible with most DVD-ROM drives and DVD-Video players. Think more of it as a removable hard disk. DVD-RAM is usually used in some DVD Recorders.
    This format is supported by DVDForum.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ...Or you could just get a drive which supports both the + and - formats.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    chalkmongoose
    Yah, I was just pointing out that 7 pages can be condensed a bit (and it missed dvd rom)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    *Grunt*
    If you are lookig for a drive that supports both DVD+R/W and DVD -R/W I can recomend the Sony DRU-510 A £257 inc VAT ($ around half I would imagine)
    available from most online retailers.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    You can buy a +r -r from My WebpageI have not got 1, yet but I bought a philips a year ago that was +r which was not that good so i took it back.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i got a -rw and it works fine on my stand alone player. I burn new movies to DVD and watch them on my TV.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    *Grunt*
    At the moment its better to buy a one that supports both, or if cash is a problem just get a one that supports - because + plus is not yet recognised by the DVD forum and is often not suported by many DVD drives.