Thread: Will a US TV work in Europe?

Hello everyone

I live in Europe and im considering on buying an HD TV from the US which is not a multi-sysem and was wondering wether there would be any compatability problems with it apart from the voltage inputs (220 Eu vs. 110 US) which can be fixed with an electricity converter. will there be any problems with the broadcasting formats (PAL vs. NTSC)?
    i dont know if its important but the model im talking about is the Samsung LNT4661F 46" 1080p LCD HDTV...

Thanks!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    LoKaLiRi's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    may work as i know

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    how do you know?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Can't find a complete spec on that TV, the morons at Samsung insist that we can only see products specifically intended for our own country.

However, if you are right about it not handling multi-system then it will not be suitable for use in Europe. Europe predominantly uses the PAL system, with a smattering of SECAM in strange places like France. NTSC is not used at all in Europe.

HD reception will be ok, because that's a global standard, but since the HD output is currently very small I doubt you would be too happy with the outcome.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    60KHz Vs 50KHz...220v Vs 120v... in no doubt you can by a converter that has a step down transformer and a regulator and it will work. How much you pay will effect how well it works. You will (probably) be getting a low quality SD transformer that will possibly throw off your voltage after time or under load.... That is a nice TV, I wouldn't want to trust a 30$ converter to supply it with the correct power...but that’s just me… why not buy one in Europe, it can't be that much more expensive (after buying the converter and shipping)????

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I watch PAL rips all the time on an NTSC, without issue.
    So would have to assume that the reverse would be true.

Why wouldn't you just buy a TV locally? The shipping cost, plus international tariffs will really jack up the price.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    only if the TV is AUTO SYSTEM becuase it will have to switch automatically from NTSC to PAL when moving it to Europe...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx, i dont realy know if the TV is not a multi-system... where i live all new TVs support multi-system but im assuming that TVs in the US are not like that on purpose like you said. and you're right, right now there are no HD broadcasting where i live, but i can still get some HD content from other media... as for price, we dont have the same model here (daaaaaa) but models with almost the same specs cost here about $5000 while in the US i can find it in a super discount price of $720 (although chances of getting it in this price are very slim) and after shipping by sea it would cost about $1070, which is till very very attractive and almost 5 times cheaper than where i live.... btw, i live in Israel but all systems (electricity, broadcasting etc...) here work in the European formats.

scottwile, getting a stable electricity converter is no problem, but getting a broadcasting format converter (or whatever its called) if it even exists is my main problem... i also think that the TV might not be a multisystem but it still supports 50/60 Hz like the american Xbox i have...?

Broken, you sure you dont have a multi-system TV? or maybe a multi-system DVD player?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    I've finally found something with the relevant info:
    http://www.brightandsleek.com/pdf/SAMSUNG-LNT4661F.pdf

NTSC only, as far as I can tell, and specified (elsewhere) at 60Hz only too, but I suspect it is actually 50-60Hz.

I feel sure there must be some multi-system TVs available on US sites, but so far I haven't found any. That makes me think that any that you find are likely to be expensive.

Perhaps you should consider looking at European sites, I think the equivalent is the M86 or M87 series. You won't get anywhere near the $720 mark, but I doubt whether you'll find that price in the US from a supplier who will ship overseas.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx, thank you for all your help!
    i guess i wont buy the TV from the US, althogh its very hard to let go of a TV with these specs in a price like that... anyway there is only a limited amount of units and getting one is kind of like winning the lottery... i just wanted to know wether i should buy it, if i were chosen, considering compatibility issues...

Thanks!