Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Give Up On Vista

Quote Originally Posted by fstrulz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sextent View Post
    There's nowt to see mate. An operating system which is more difficult to set up and use. Far inferior support for drivers etc and a minute fraction of the software available.
    It actually takes 45-90 or so minutes to install XP/Vista (depending how fast your computer is), while it only takes 15-25 minutes to install the latest release of Ubuntu or Fedora... The only problem with Linux drivers is when it comes to very old hardware and also ATI and NVIDIA graphic cards, but that has been fixed and improved just recently when both companies release stable Linux drivers for their cards... Linux also has great alternatives to Windows softwares, such as OpenOffice (FREE), GIMP image editor (FREE), Pidgin AIM/MSN/Yahoo/etc. all-in-one chat client (FREE), and other applications (FREE)... You can also install and run your favorite Windows softwares (Photoshop, uTorrent, etc.) and games in Linux using Wine.

But it's all matter of choice of course, and everyone should stick with their OS that they're most comfortable with.

what linux torrent client do you use ?

2. Lounge   -   #42
    fstrulz's Avatar got milf? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Sextent View Post
    I consider all software free, as does everyone else here. So putting it in capital letters isn't really a big selling point.

If I could easily get my wireless connection to work and connect me to the internets then I would play with linux.
    Well...

MS Office 2007 = $499.95
    OpenOffice = FREE
    Photoshop costs $649
    Gimp = FREE

Obviously big difference, that's why I put them in caps. Good luck with your WiFi in Linux... You could always ask for help and check out guides on http://ubuntuforums.org or other Linux distro forums.

Quote Originally Posted by masterbat View Post
    what linux torrent client do you use ?
    I use Deluge.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    Well...

MS Office 2007 = $499.95
    OpenOffice = FREE
    Photoshop costs $649
    Gimp = FREE

Obviously big difference, that's why I put them in caps. Good luck with your WiFi in Linux... You could always ask for help and check out guides on http://ubuntuforums.org[B] or other Linux distro forums.
    Specious comparison. Everyone here steals any software they want, including OS. So cost is not a factor.

Guides are irrelevant if there aren't the drivers, Shirley.

4. Lounge   -   #44
    http://members.driverguide.com/index.php

Didn't help me but may help other people.

5. Lounge   -   #45

6. Lounge   -   #46
    fstrulz's Avatar got milf? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Linux Mint

Linux distro for the total newbies. Based on Ubuntu, it only takes a couple of clicks and minutes to install and everything comes "out-of-the-box."

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Can that dual boot.

8. Lounge   -   #48
    fstrulz , thanks

plz check the software section

9. Lounge   -   #49
    MaaxHimself's Avatar ‡ Borat Sagdiyev ‡ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Linux Mint

Linux distro for the total newbies. Based on Ubuntu, it only takes a couple of clicks and minutes to install and everything comes "out-of-the-box."
    Yeah I have Linux mint installed but can't seem to get my wireless internet to work...
    Any ideas?

10. Lounge   -   #50
    That's the problem, getting drivers for your wireless thingy.

What type is it.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast