Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Interrupts

kirktrix's Avatar Killing Zone BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Need help in Fixing my problem... Here it is:

My CPU usage always turn 100%....Then i install processXp to check what is the program using all my CPU... and discover it is the Hardware Interrupts...
    I search for the solution in the net. and i see one by uninstalling the primary IDE in the device manager...It works perfectly but every time i restart my PC it automatic install it and my problem is back....

My question is:

Is there a way to permanent uninstall my primary IDE? is it a good idea?
    What do you think is the problem, my CPU or HDD? do i need to replace it?

Thanks in advance...
    "Death is the result of weakness. The strong are the only ones who survive."

“I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.”

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    It sounds like you have a virus, try some antivirus or antiadware software. Luck!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by yav_ View Post
    It sounds like you have a virus, try some antivirus or antiadware software. Luck!
    Thanks but it is not a virus or spyware/adware...My system is clean and do not have many programs installed..I really think it is an hardware issue but before i replace some of my laptop parts really need somebody to confirm it...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Well my advice as of now is to backup your data and do a format and a fresh install of windows, I think that would work.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    The thing to do would be to find out WHY it is generating hardware interrupts (if it really is). I suspect a driver problem is more likely though.

Is something connected to it (such as your DVD drive)? If so, check that it isn't related to the connected device.

If nothing is connected, you can only successfully stop the driver being installed by disabling the hardware. That's almost certainly going to be a bios option.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    The thing to do would be to find out WHY it is generating hardware interrupts (if it really is). I suspect a driver problem is more likely though.

Is something connected to it (such as your DVD drive)? If so, check that it isn't related to the connected device.

If nothing is connected, you can only successfully stop the driver being installed by disabling the hardware. That's almost certainly going to be a bios option.
    I am getting that 100% cpu usage in my hardware interrupts:
    When i have a new download... the larger the files the longer it stay in 100%....
    When i transfer some files from drive C to D...or Vice versa
    When i transfer files from my PC to flash drive or Vice versa

That's why i think it is my HDD...One more thing i have read in computer forum that the transfer Mode in Primary IDE must be in DMA but my computer always set it to PIO...PIO more slower transfer...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    If it is set to PIO, then you will get far more hardware interrupts than with DMA.

Check that the bios setting is set to DMA (or auto). Even though the driver should be capable of operating without reference to the bios, it may look at the settings and assume that you don't want to operate at a higher level than what is set there.

The other potential problem is that windows will deliberately set PIO mode if it detects a certain number of DMA errors/timeouts. It steps down from 6 to 5 to 4 etc until it gets to PIO mode. The problem may be temporary, but windows then sticks in that mode.

You can only get the DMA mode back by uninstalling the drive, and if it is your primary drive this is clearly impossible. You can fix the problem using Regedit.
    Find the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Under this you will find a number of sub-keys, probably 0000, 0001 and 0002 but there could be others.
    In some of these sub-keys you will find the values (on the right hand side)
    MasterIdDataCheckSum
    and
    SlaveIdDataCheckSum

If you delete these values and reboot, windows will have to recalculate them again and the only way it can do that is to start at the highest UDMA level.

If the system drops down to PIO mode again you may have a genuine problem (such as a damaged cable).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    ^^ Thanks Lynx...
    I think that is really the problem...When my CPU reach 100% due to hardware interrupts, I always uninstall the primary IDE driver.. after rebooting the problem gone, back to normal speed and the transfer mode is DMA..but after some time it automatic change to PIO mode.. Then I will uninstall it again...I am getting tired of uninstalling and rebooting my PC....

I will try all your suggestion about the regedit...Hopefully it will fix the problem permanently....

But in case the problem cannot fix what do i need to change? I am using 3 yrs old Laptop..There is no IDE cable...

Thanks again...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by kirktrix View Post
    I am using 3 yrs old Laptop..There is no IDE cable...
    Unless your machine runs SATA there is an IDE cable.
    I would think the drive itself is the more likely culprit though.

Have you tried running any HDD diagnostics on it?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kirktrix View Post
    I am using 3 yrs old Laptop..There is no IDE cable...
    Unless your machine runs SATA there is an IDE cable.
    I would think the drive itself is the more likely culprit though.

Have you tried running any HDD diagnostics on it?
    Not yet... Any good tools you recommend?..Thanks to all your help...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast