Thread: fast stuttering then crash

popwar's Avatar Popwar
    every now and then. my computer will crash/ freeze with a fast stuttering sound then will continue to go on until i manually reboot my computer. i was thinkin it might be a bad driver i installed or sumtn with my video card. idk. its pissin me off though. i have vista 64-bit. specs below.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you are getting this stuttering noise from anything other than your speakers, you've got a serious problem.

Assuming we aren't talking about speaker noise, I'd suggest the HDD as the most likely candidate. It sounds like repeated seeking for a particular track which in turn suggests that the drive is failing.

Try getting the diagnostics from the relevant manufacturer, you'll need the results anyway if you have to rma the disk.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    well, i gave my brother my old hard drive which was in my current hard drive box which has the diagnostics cd in it.. so.. can i download the software from somewhere?? i tried to get it from the site but apparently the software doesnt support vista. and yea i hear the stuttering noise comming from my speakers but nothign stutters. my computer just locks up completely.

i have a western digital caviar se 16mb sata 250gb. bought it a couple months ago. the model number is WDC WD25 00AAKS-00SBA
    Last edited by popwar; 11-24-2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Hmmm.
    Running Vista and getting stuttering from the speakers, eh?

Boot into BIOS and disable the onboard sound.

Back into the OS and see what happens.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    its not enabled. i have a soundcard

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    do a chkdsk /r
    this seems like an HDD problem with bad clusters

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    I was talking about HDD diagnostics, which you would download from the disk manufacturer, not your system diagnostics.

However, if the stuttering is coming from the speakers you can almost certainly forget about the HDD as a cause of the problem and concentrate on drivers. Make sure you've got the latest sound card drivers, AND the latest motherboard drivers (since everything goes through the motherboard). If necessary uninstall the sound card and re-install.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    well i turned my cpu clock back to original and it hasnt stutterd/crashed since.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You might have mentioned that you were overclocked at the beginning.
    Just for future reference, like.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    well it was in my sig that it was oc'd. but took it off .. sorrys