Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My kid just dropped my external hard drive...

optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    yeah, but it could be power company or thunder or something, obviously not making backups means no sweets for you either
    anyway, only real waste is your hard work, everything else is abundant on internets

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    MaaxHimself's Avatar ‡ Borat Sagdiyev ‡ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    What are sweets...you mean candy? lol jk
    Good luck on getting your data back!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    sell your kid on ebay.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    you guys

or force him to study l33t file extraction.

The mom was watching him ffs.

Last edited by 100%; 11-24-2007 at 11:27 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Well what was the drive doing on the floor? Also dude it's not that hard to open a HDD just be careful you may be able to swap the platter out with another hdd

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Well what was the drive doing on the floor? Also dude it's not that hard to open a HDD just be careful you may be able to swap the platter out with another hdd
    No way.
    Absolutely no way.

Dust, although by far the greatest danger, is not the only problem.
    Even assuming that one could successfully transplant the platters to another housing there is the matter of aligning the heads so data could be read.
    I don't pretend to understand the complexities involved- I'm just regurgitating the spiel we got from the data recovery firm- but there is more to it than one would suspect.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    yeah, i personaly fixed several mechanical drive failures by gently pulling drive open only over arm rest, not over platters and fixing position of a magnet. and even some continued to work without a hitch it's definitely not something anyone should do with ANY kind of really valuable data. it's basicaly a gamble. diy swaping burned electronics is ok, but one should think twice before opening sealed head assembly

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Dam kids can't figure out whats harder on computers , wifes or kids ? I know this will sound dumb but try the old HDD in the freezer trick ? Easy to do as its external .

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    lynx's Avatar .
    Here's a thought, assuming that sending the disk to the data recovery people is a non-starter.

By default, the heads "fly" about a micron above the disk surface. The pits in the damaged platter would probably cause the head to crash so the head alignment techniques that the data recovery people use is so that they can get the heads at that distance from the platter without it actually "flying".

The probability is that bits of the disk surface are now rattling around inside the platter chamber, but most of the damage will have taken place on the heads themselves. Since you can't currently get any data from the drive I can't see any harm in at least trying Detale's suggestion. It will cost you the price of an identical drive to swap the platters into, and may not work, but I don't see another option.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    LoKaLiRi's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    it is 99% ur data will lost

sorry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast