Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Stereo?

Poster
    Hey

I am looking at buying this stereo.

What do you think, could i do better for my money? (AUS&#33 (Retails here for $550)

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/Partner...tion=1&tagID=no

It says that it is not MP3 compat, but that is an error, it is!

Dave

2. Music   -   #2
    Luca_Snipes's Avatar Poster
    For the same amout of money you should be able to put together a seperates Hi-Fi (i'm assuming that things sell for about the same over there), which will be much more rewarding musicly and alow for upgrades etc at later a date.

what ever you buy - make sure you listen to it properly before parting with your money - most shops should offer some sort of listening room, and it's always good to make use of them

3. Music   -   #3
    Poster
    What is a seperates system?

Dave

4. Music   -   #4
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    i think he means where you buy each component seperately

like an amp, a CD player (one which connects to an external amp), a Radio (connects to amp) etc.

basically, the seperate bits are no use on their own, youll need an amplifier, then can get the other bits.

they usu are kinda flat and stack on top of each other, and end up looking like one system.

Id reccomend this, cos this way, when you want to add (say) a digital radio, its easy, whereas if you already had a hifi system, you'd be stuck. also the quality is far superior.

and i agree with the listen to it in the shop bit....take along a couple of CDs...some heavy stuff, with plenty of bass, and some classical stuff, and play them. Dont be afraid to ask for different speakers etc. and dont worry if you spend an hour or more there....thats what the staff are for

hope you get a good one
    <insert signature here>

5. Music   -   #5
    Poster
    Seperates are the way to go. NAD offer an extensive hi-quality range of amplifiers and cd-players. I&#39;d recommend the NAD C 320BBE amplifier, the NAD C541i CD player as a high quality system at affordable prices. As for speakers, well that really depends on what you want to listen to. With this system your best to get thick copper-wires (and bi-wire them, but all would be explained in a manual with player). This will cost more, but in the long run it will sound brilliant. These compact systems are never really that great.

edit: as for stacking them ontop of each other, not a great idea it may lead to overheating. Also, you want to have each on thier own wee bit of table (prefferably a hi-fi system rack, to absorb vibrations). Another important rule if you stretch out for a seperate system, make sure the speaker cables and cd to amp cables are far away from power supplys, or you will pick up a slight hum/hiss.

Also, i notice your almost 18 in october. I suggest you save your money until then and get that as part as your 18th Birthday gift, get a really good system (like the one i suggested). This will last you years and years, and upgrading speakers, cables when you want shall be very easy. It will also do you for years such as when you move to a flat/appartment (if you havn&#39;t already). So, yeah, get a seperate system instead of a compact, you wont be disappointed (but remember, it takes up to 45 hours of play-time until cd player/amp/speakers on seperates are up to thier full-potential)

6. Music   -   #6
    Yep, sound advice - definitely go for separates if you can afford it.

I&#39;d just like to add something, and that is (in my opinion) avoid Sony at all costs. In the past I&#39;ve bought Sony hi-fi, Mini Disc and car equipment and it always broke&#33; They spend their money on advertising and image rather than the product they&#39;re actually selling

7. Music   -   #7
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    I&#39;ll throw in my two cents worth......wait - too many people have already said what I would have, so I&#39;ll just agree with them:

Stay away from the Compact Systems&#33; Go with the Separates&#33; As for what Brand / Model / etc. - well, I recommend you find a friend or relative who has some knowledge with stereo systems, and take him/her along shopping with you. You will be parting with a good amount of hard-earned ca&#036;h, so any help or advice is always a good idea.

Lastly - don&#39;t be in a hurry&#33; Take your time, and DO NOT let any salesperson push you into buying something the very first time you se it. If they make you a "special offer", and say it&#39;s good for "today only" - don&#39;t believe them - whatever offer they make you today can be made again&#33; I have made many purchases while receiving the "special (today-only) offer" up to a month later. The way I do it is I will go into the shop when I&#39;m ready to make the purchase with the CA&#036;H in my pocket, and ask for the store manager. I will then make the offer to buy the item(s) at the "special offer" price the salesperson offered weeks prior, and 9 times out of 10 the manager will accept. TAKE YOUR TIME.

Enough said,

Tchau&#33; and good luck.

8. Music   -   #8
    Poster
    Thanks for all the advice guys ill take it into account

Just say i was going to get a Mini System as its just for my room, would you reccomend this?

I&#39;d just like to add something, and that is (in my opinion) avoid Sony at all costs. In the past I&#39;ve bought Sony hi-fi, Mini Disc and car equipment and it always broke&#33; They spend their money on advertising and image rather than the product they&#39;re actually selling
    Sorry Grammar i dont agree with that, my family has over 20 sony products and they are great in my opinion.

What mindisk player do you have?

Thanks again

Dave

9. Music   -   #9
    Poster
    Turns out i got the guy down to 400 so i might take it.

Dave

10. Music   -   #10
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Originally posted by Schumacher_Skaife@24 July 2003 - 15:37
    Turns out i got the guy down to 400 so i might take it.

Dave
    I hail your car though

nice to see someone representing the greatest car company alive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast