Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Riaa Subpoenas Isps

Originally posted by AR8@22 July 2003 - 07:26
    With them suing us... there's no way I'm going to buy music then. NO WAY, I'm going to boycott this, it's ridiculous. The simple phrase: 'two wrongs doesn't make a right' obviously doesn't apply to them. It's unbelievable.

But, my question is, are they able to get us in trouble if we download music videos or TV episodes? I know movie downloading is illegal, but... TV episodes and music videos, those can't be illegal to download, can they?
    You say two wrongs dont make a right but many people on this board think that it does.
    I understand that them suing us is lame but what the hell do you expect them to do loose a few million a year and do nothing about it.
    The music industry is the same as any business if you take money away from them there going to come after you any big company would do that.
    I dont claim to know anything about the situation just playing devils advecate and throwing stuff out to see how people feel about it.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Poster
    WTF are u talking about!!??!

its not stealling
    ok look
    Marco goes into a music store buys a cd for $29.99, listens to it, likes it, burns a copy for his friend (sharing the CD) Friend rips the cd to his harddrive, converts to mp3's, sends them to his buddies online, buddies leave those files in their shared folder, 2 days later 6,000 users have a copy.

is that stealing?
    the story started off with a legit purchase of a CD for $29.99
    The copies were made from this legit purchse, No actual item was stolen.
    ONLY THE "PREDICTED" SALES REVENUE WAS FOILD BY A SINGLE GENEROUS CUSTUMER.

is the RIAA wasnt so greedy in its sales prediction this wouldnt even be a problem.

Heres another story about the same kid:

Marco goes into a grocery store buys an apple for $0.29, eats half the apple, likes it, gives the other half to his friend (sharind the apple) Friend eatsh the apple keeps the seed, plants them, tree grows, more apples, people on the street pick apple from the big tree and plant those seeds 20 years later 600,000 apples are produced daily for free.

is that stealing?
    This story started off with a lgit purchase of an apple for $0.29
    The copies were made form a legit purchase, no actual apple was stolen.

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Xanex's Avatar Poster
    @Serus

Man that is pure genius LOL

Apples = CD's

I can see where the RIAA are comming from but their attitude and the way they go about things is just wrong. NO i am not stealing if i download a mp3 from a m8. YES i am stealing if i take it from the store without paying for it or download it then sell it on.

The RIAA remind me of that big fat black dude in the film "hackers" he has just the right attitude to this. over enflated ego trip he is on and his crusade to make the world a better just place.

As for the music artist they are getting screwed any way by the record companys and those that do get a lot of money are just big headed dick farts that trash up hotel rooms for fun, big kids really. dont think i want to listen to their music if they gonna act like that.

iTunes had the right idea with the 99c a DL but they are getting squashed by the RIAA too, so what are you going to do. These big coporate companys are crying to the courts that their little plan to monopolise the world is being spoilt by a bunch of file sharers. BOO FUCKING HOO, and the courts are listening to them. if this carrys on it will be AOL this or TIME WARNER that, and M$ everything. there will be no little guy. yes america is supposed to be the land of the free but its also the land of the big coporate company back dealing the courts for technical details.

Recent news in the UK. BT have been orderd to cut their BB package by 17% bcos its too high priced and not compettitive enough. There must be some organisation in the USA that can order companys to cut prices and cut their profits. (OFFTEL)

tho i agree that if i was on top why should i be the one to back down and let someone else have a go , im doing something good and people like what i do ergo im on top. but companys like M$ and AOL alike should now go into early retirement and let some other company try. That way we get better technology quicker, it stops the big compantys from having this cool new stuff and leaking it to us slowy so they can maximise their profits.

Xan
    (to be continued)

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    i swear on my baby girl i never going to buy another cd in my life until RIAA goes out of business , because this fucking company is really pissing me off, really why in the fuck hacker not trying to fucking blow this baster server or something ? instead trying to hack into goverment system. i swear if i ever get fucking letter from RIAA i am going to reply back with "FUCK YOU, shove your fucking copyright shit up where the sun can't shine" fucking baster...
    ahh

sorry i am very pissed off

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    The RIAA is trying to scare all of us, though, since they don't own the copyrights, I really don't see how they can press charges/sue us.
    Proud member of MDS

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Okay, here is a point. Lets say that they make music downloads that have the same quality as the CD (mp3s are not the same quality&#33. Now, would I buy a song with that quality before I listen to it? No, no way. I would still download a mp3 of that same song and listen to it before buying the same song with a higher quality. So, I do not see file sharing going away any time soon. And, if was not for file sharing I would not known such bands as Hammerfall or Dream Theater, because I don't want to risk $17 bucks everytime I want to check some new thing (new to me at least), since I do not listen to top 40 stuff. I agree with the independent lables' opinions about mp3s. Let it be. A worst problem is making copies of CD's and giving it away or selling it. Maybe they should go after all the CD burner manufactures and put a tax on them to recuperate the cost of music CD burning (not to mention DVD burners) And since most file sharers are pretty young and some outside of the US, I don't know what the RIAA is going to accomplish by making them sour customers. BTW, Apple's online service won't last long on my opinion, or if does it won't be as large as they claim will become. Wait and See.

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Don't know what every1 is gettin so work up about especially those who live outside America (considering these fuckers have no juridiction outside of the US), Anyway wasn't there a report recently saying that by downloading music more people was going out and buying cd's so whats thier problem? Also another point worth noting is the fact people aren't going to buy cd's of bands they haven't heard of so by downloadin afew tunes ppl will go and buy those albums. Sorry if this made no sense but im tired.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    guys, guys
    RIAA and MPAA r not gonna ever win this way.
    let me start with this topic. what do u think the CD burners and DVD burners r for? to copy music and movies. also to copy the files to ur comp. right? i personally use my cd burner for burning songs on blank cds that i have downloaded from kazaa. do u think if they find a way to block p2p sharing, people would still go buy blank cds and cd and dvd burners? most people wont. also, why do u think people go buy bigger HD? to put more files on their HD and get more files from other people. therefore, if people stop buying blank cds and CD burners and etc., the companies who produce this products r gonna lose a lot of money. as a result, they gotta support p2p sharing and not let it die. and they r not small companies. they wont let these laws pass and RIAA and MPAA will lose and have to find some other way.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    agreed?

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Yes - they are trying to block the manufacturers of CD-rs and DVD -rs

Yes - they are trying to stop the sale of TiVO - rationalization being that if you do not watch the commercials, you are stealing what you are watching.

I am NOT kidding.

Yes - they will certainly try to serve you if you download television shows. If you download ANYTHING anyone who is a member of the RIAA produces, there is a chance you can be served.

Please go here and check this out

http://eff.org/share/

This is NOT the first time they habe tried this shite - they have been trying to lock people up since 1903 for various forms of music sharing. They have always lost, once it got to congress.

What is most likely going to happen in the near future, is that a fund will be established, where people downloading music will pay a monthly fee (remember Nabster was trying to do this for $5 a month?). This fee will get distrubuted directly to the artists, as are the funds collected from radio stations, top 40 bands, etc. They are NOT going to agree to this without a fight - they have not in the past. Congress has had to push 'compulsory" licensing on the RIAA, to force them to agree to let radio stations play, top 40 bar bands play - on and on.

Everything will be OK

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast