Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Riaa Subpoenas Isps

imported_stg1123
    RIAA subpoenas ISPs
    By Dinah Greek [21-07-2003]
    US recording industry carries out threat of forcing ISPs to hand over P2P users

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has begun to tighten the screws on hundreds of users of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing systems in the US.
    It has issued subpoenas to internet service providers (ISPs) in the US to force them to identify customers who are illegally sharing copyrighted music over networks like Kazaa.

The RIAA, the US music recording industry's leading trade body, announced in June that it would use scanning software to find P2P users. Additional information freely available on the sites is then used to identify the user's ISP.

Under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, ISPs must provide copyright holders with such information when there is reason to believe copyrights are being infringed. The RIAA can then sue the individual.

"This should not come as a surprise to anyone," said a RIAA spokeswoman. "Filing information subpoenas is exactly what we said we'd do a couple of weeks ago when we announced that we were gathering evidence to file lawsuits."

The clampdown has already started to take effect. Loyola University in Chicago has handed over to RIAA lawyers the names of two students alleged to have downloaded music files from P2P sites.

Source Page

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    This is getting really ridiculous. Do they actually expect CD sales to increase because they're going to sue their customers? I think not...

I'm sending my CDs to RIAA and ripping them into shreds. I'll have to add something else to them, but I don't know.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Fuck the RIAA!

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Ron's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by bc1785@21 July 2003 - 18:57
    I'm sending my CDs to RIAA and ripping them into shreds. I'll have to add something else to them, but I don't know.
    LOL

Actually, that's a great idea bc1785.
    Why don't we all send them our 'illegal' mp3's back by email.
    That should keep them busy for a while.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I have a question what exactly should they do about people stealing there stuff?
    Dont get me wrong I download music to but you have to ask yoursealf what would you do if you lost millions a year?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Originally posted by opivy@21 July 2003 - 20:55
    I have a question what exactly should they do about people stealing there stuff?
    Dont get me wrong I download music to but you have to ask yoursealf what would you do if you lost millions a year?
    You know I agree completly, I mean what do we expect them to do. I guess it is noice for me to able to sit back and see what happens ( i do not live in the US.) I mean I hope that filesahring will win in the end, but I dont know how we can get so mad at them for trying to keep their money ( i would kill for mine.)

I do hopwever have a problem with some of the leverage that they are trying to get with it all. I mean how many suppenas have been sent to verizon, and only a few to Any Time warner companies. (in the articel that corner pocket linked to in another thread.) I post awhile ago about how filesharing would not die because TIME warner makes more money from ISP's then they lose from this. The only reply that i got was "I do not see the connection" Well there it is it looks like Time warner is gonna use this to gain more customers from Verizon, then we will see what happens, if RIAA starts (mostly Time warner) prosecuting it's on ISP customers.

Perhaps it is time verizon seeks some action of its own against this. ( i know they fight giving up their customers identities, but that may not be enough.

Article from CNN mentioned

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    RollUrOwn's Avatar Poster
    I 'try' to avoid 'wholesale' downloading. The majority of my dl's have been music I have already purchased before, either on record or tape. I bought at least 3 copies of 'Master of Puppets' on tape that I played to death. If Lars gets pissed at me for dl'ing....well.....fuck him!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by toddiscool+21 July 2003 - 21:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (toddiscool @ 21 July 2003 - 21:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-opivy@21 July 2003 - 20:55
    You know I agree completly, I mean what do we expect them to do. I guess it is noice for me to able to sit back and see what happens ( i do not live in the US.) I mean I hope that filesahring will win in the end, but I dont know how we can get so mad at them for trying to keep their money ( i would kill for mine.)

I do hopwever have a problem with some of the leverage that they are trying to get with it all. I mean how many suppenas have been sent to verizon, and only a few to Any Time warner companies. (in the articel that corner pocket linked to in another thread.) I post awhile ago about how filesharing would not die because TIME warner makes more money from ISP&#39;s then they lose from this. The only reply that i got was "I do not see the connection" Well there it is it looks like Time warner is gonna use this to gain more customers from Verizon, then we will see what happens, if RIAA starts (mostly Time warner) prosecuting it&#39;s on ISP customers.

Perhaps it is time verizon seeks some action of its own against this. ( i know they fight giving up their customers identities, but that may not be enough.

Article from CNN mentioned [/b][/quote]
    I agree its really crazy how this will how play out in the end I guess there in a tough spot if you ask me if they fight for there money they will look bad to most but if they dont fight they just keep loosing money they cant win and there is nothing they can do.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    The RIAA is just making news, nothing more. Filesharing will continue but it will be encrypted and secure. The artists aren&#39;t losing money, the record companies are. They can no longer control the music that you purchase, and their advertising dollars are becoming a waste. I suggest they put out a better product and stop worrying about what we do.
    Proud member of MDS

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    this is bullshit. they cant do shit to us. they r trying to scare us. and if they can i recommand everyone to dpwnload kazaa 2.4 and zone alarm to prevent it.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast